1. Walker1

Walker1 Well-Known Member

I decided on a Ruger 22-250. Now I need a scope. I may be able to get my hands on a Leupold VX3 in 4.5-14x50 w/1" tube and duplex reticle. What do you guys think of that one? Should I go with 30mm tube? Maybe a different reticle? I was also thinking of Zeiss or Burris. Both of these are 44mm. I guess my main thing is should I go with a 40 or 50mm? Do I need the 30mm tube? What would be a better reticle? I do not plan on shooting past 300yrds too often but would like to give it a try.

2. nate-lab

nate-lab Well-Known Member

reticle i would go a mil dot and you said you are not shooting over 300 yards so a 40mm would work but a 50 mm would be better

3. long range dogr

long range dogr Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with the scope you mentioned. If hunting coyotes is your main quary with this rig the lupy will work just fine.

A few questions i have.Would you preffer a different reticle? A 30mm tube with a 50mm objective is real nice in lowlight situations but are you hunting in these?

Would you need the extra moa a 30mm tube offers?

4. Walker1

I would like to be able to take further shots if need be. I figured coyotes would be a good place to start. I would not say further than 600yds. I would not mind the varmint recticle but not sure if I would benefit from it. I have never used it. A buddy of mine has it and he says he never uses it.

How would I know if I need the extra moa of a 30mm tube?

5. long range dogr

long range dogr Well-Known Member

Are you planning on just holding over for 600 yard shots or dialing with your elevation knob?

I'm not that current on ballistics for the 22-250 so i dont know if you'll need allot for shooting at those distances.

I'm not trying to confuse you pard. But if you are gonna shoot at 600 yards i would reccomend a 30mm tube.With at least a 50mm objective.And also with target turrets.

6. Walker1

If I understand correctly, the varmint reticle is for holding over assuming I have the correct ballistics. Target turrets is for dialing in elevation? At least now I know that I am going to get the 30mm tube and 50mm objective. Now for the reticle.

7. outwest1

outwest1 Active Member

if your intent is coyote hunting the 4.5x14x50 is fine. when you,re ready to shoot at a coyote you don't have time to dial up, learn to use a duplex and you will be good to at least 500 easy. and don't wait to long he's not going to stand there allday.gun)

8. Walker1

Good point, but if I go with a varmint reticle, there is no dialing up is there? I thought as long as my ballistics match the scope, all I have to do is hold over at yardage.

9. outwest1

outwest1 Active Member

Walker1 ,i think the varmint reticle would be great for prairie dogs but a little too busy for quick shots. thats most likely why your friend hardly uses his! if a coyote takes off and you have to take a running shotgun)well just think about it.lightbulb

10. Walker1

Another good point.... That is why I posted on this forum.