What scope

I use a 280AI mountain ascent with a SwarovskiZ3 4-12x50 for sheep/goat hunting where I know I'll be hiking a lot. For caribou and moose I don't mind having a bit heavier setup since typically we're not hiking as much, but I agree 8 pounds is about my limit too, that means a scope up to 24oz would fit the bill.

When you have a 6 1/2 lb rifle and want to keep it at 7 1/2 with scope, going to be tough. So welcome to my world. Trying to come up with a combination, scope, rifle that comes in around that 7 1/2 lb range that I can afford and shoots well. Plus be capable of shooting some distance. Scopes I've used that do seem to work well but some of them might not get the distance you would like. Vx5 3-15, vx6 3-18, nightforce shv 2-10, Swarovski z5 3-18, huskemaw 3-12. I recently purchased a vx-3 4-14 to try and lose a little more weight, but haven't used it yet. Another one that is on my to try list to try is the vortex razor lh 3-15 that has been mentioned. Good luck and have fun

Your absolutely right I have the vx3 3.5-14 on my Dakota fin light 7 mag. Good scope for the money. I was wanting a bit more reach. Don't know why just do. Thought I would see if there was one I was missing.

I have the vortex razor lh. I really like the glass but not sure if it is designed for a turret. That may be what I go with.

Yes they can where the issue derives is the internal parts are not designed for constant adjustments I am not sure how well or how bad they would handle the turret would hate for there to be a break on a hunt

That's interesting, I had never heard that about them before. I agree having it go south on a hunt would be terrible. You might want to stick with Leupold then as their custom turrets are done in house.

I am looking to put together a rifle and scope for a mountain gun hunting primarily out west and Alaska I have the gun picked out itt weighs roughly 6.5 lbs. I want a scope that I can have custom turrets made for and must be light. Would like to get optimal yardage out of rifle as possible but I want the gun to weigh between 7.5 lbs and 8 lbs. any suggestions
Take a look at the leupold vx6 hd line up I have found them to be great

I have the Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14 CDS with windplex reticle on 5 light weight rifles. I limit shots to 500 yards and find I value weight savings over additional magnification. Love the CDS feature. I have 2 for several rifles up that see some varmint action with lighter bullets. Just range the distance and dial the number.

I have Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS-T scopes on 4 rifles now with Kenton industry turrets. They are great scopes at great value. They have great optics, unmatched warranty, track well and perform repeatedly at long range. I'd prefer zero stop to the dial past on the turrets to return to zero, but for a great scope 2K cheaper than many mentioned on here I just learned how to work it:)! They weigh in at 19 oz. The one limiting factor is the 16 power is great out to about 700 yds on deer size critters, if they had 20X top end they'd be perfect...and a zero stop.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.