What scope

Gills

I am looking to put together a rifle and scope for a mountain gun hunting primarily out west and Alaska I have the gun picked out itt weighs roughly 6.5 lbs. I want a scope that I can have custom turrets made for and must be light. Would like to get optimal yardage out of rifle as possible but I want the gun to weigh between 7.5 lbs and 8 lbs. any suggestions

Is the 15 power zoom enough I've never had more than 14. So just curious

Is the 15 power zoom enough I've never had more than 14. So just curious
For how far? My cousin used that scope this year on a .270 Sherman, and his farther two kills were a deer at 600 and a cow elk at 910. For spotting his own shots, he said it got challenging past 700-800 yards. For his 910 elk, he said he wished he had more magnification, he wasn't able to spot his hit. For targets it is plenty out to a long ways, 1000+. But if your rifle has low enough recoil to spot your own shots, and you want to be able to, maybe jump to the 4-20 version of shots past 700 are likely.

That's what I was wondering. I am just not sure if I want to be messing with the parallax. It can't be that hard just don't have much experience with it.

I'm in this exact situation, also trying to choose a scope for western L48 and Alaska and have been given the following recommendations.
  1. Leupold vx5HD 3-15, 20oz
  2. Leupold vx6HD 3-18, 23oz
  3. Zeiss HD5 3-15, 23oz (these are discontinued so can be had for a pretty good price)
  4. Swarovski z5 3.5-18, 16oz
Personally I'm also considering the trijicon accupoint 2.5 - 12.5 as well as the new 3-18, even though they are a little heavier.

What type of AK hunting are you planning to use for?

Well I hunt Wyoming yearly. And am planning on a caribou hunt this fall if I draw the tag however I have been in this area before but not as a shooter just a pack mule lol. We killed a caribou and a fall sheep in the the same place the caribou seem to like the high mountain peaks here. I lugged a browning about medallion an a 12 day moose hunt and that is the last time that rifle has been in the field I was sick of the weight when the trip was over. Lesson learned.

I am even considering the vortex razor hd LH. It is right at 16 oz. but the turret is a bit different to get on it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.