What scope?

A_Baker

The scope will be mounted on a Remington Sendero 300 RUM,ive narrowed my choice down to two,the Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20 ER/T,and the Nightforce 5.5-20 NXS. Any thoughts?

If you want a second focal plane scope, go with the Nightforce 5.5-22x. If you want a FFP scope, go with the Leupold Mark 4 FFP scope.

Thanks,

Mason @ CST

With a FFP scope, the reticle and target increase/decrease with changes in magnification. If you had a mil-dot scope, the subtensions don't change with the magnification. On a SFP scope, the reticle size stays the same while the target inceases/decreases with changes in magnification. If you had a mil-dot scope, the subtensions change with the magnification. For example - with a FFP scope a mil is always 3.6"@100 yards. With a SFP scope a mil is 3.6"@100 yards on just one magnification - usually the highest power. Hope this helps.

Tim

Both are nice, Nightforce is probably more rugged, hence that is why it weighs about 31 oz. and Leupold is 22 oz. If packing you might want to save weight, NF has a few more power

The newer Leupold Mark 4 M5 FFP series with TMR reticle really came out nice. When Nightforce releases their FFP scope (the F1) with the new MLR2 reticle, it will probably be a better FFP scope (but also more expensive than the Mark 4 M5). Good luck!

Mason @ CST

Here's an article review of the new Nightforce MLR2 Reticle:

http://www.cstactical.com/Magazine/SHOT-SHOW/SHOT-SHOW-BLOG-2011/Nightforce-New-MLR2-Reticle.html

Here's a video review of the Leupold Mark 4 M5 6.5-20x:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuygTsi7Lpo

Either one is a winner. I personally prefer the SFP since i have a range finder, and would urge you to consider the same scope in the LRT line (save some coin) if you use one as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.