What rimfire?

ducky

I'm looking to get a bolt .22 lr 16-18" threaded barrel for suppressor use. Would like to keep it under $1K without optics. The only rifles available locally are Ruger American, 10/22, and Savage offerings. Looking at the Christensen Ranger or Bergara BMR online. What else us out there in the $500 to sub $1K I should be looking at?

The Bergara B14R with steel barrel is right around $1000. Full size with a Remington 700 short action footprint.

I like this one too (image is of the long barrel, but it's actually 16.5"):

*Slightly over your budget but I've seen them cheaper than that price.

Last edited:
I like Rimfires. I like the Bergara, CZ457 and Tikka T1x. The Tikka has a great trigger, nice weight and very accurate for under $600. CZ is comparable.. I haven't owned a Bergara but most people really like them, just watch the weight for what you want.
I do like the Volquartsen Summit which you can get at right around$1k, mine in 17hm2 shoots great. New Browning Tbolts are very accurate and I like the hex mag. The problem with my straight pulls are they are more noisy when they hit the stop.
I've owned the Savage 22's, several Ruger' s, and many others, just not at the same level to me but most do shoot good and the Rugers are highly customisable .
I love Anschutz and Cooper and they are very accurate as well but many of both struggle with weak ejection. I just hate expensive guns that need to be worked on right out of the box.
The Christiansen is a shot in the dark as they have had many with bad ejection and even after repairs. I was going to try one but after looking at them just gave them a pass.
Tikka T1x sounds to me like a gun that fits the bill, and is already threaded. You can buy a verticle grip and wider forend for fairly cheap if you want. Mine is very accurate and I have shot it out to 400yds.
Good luck. I wish you could get your hands on more of them. Go to Tulsa in 2 weekends. You might find what you want on the over 4000 tables. Haha

Edit, just realized you had shown the CZ457 Pro Varmint. I like the changes CZ made to the action but it seems like the barrels can be a little hit and miss. Still wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I hadn't gone Tikka first. It is cheap enough on your budget if it doesn't shoot you can put a great barrel on and still be right in there on budget.

Last edited:
I'm looking to get a bolt .22 lr 16-18" threaded barrel for suppressor use. Would like to keep it under $1K without optics. The only rifles available locally are Ruger American, 10/22, and Savage offerings. Looking at the Christensen Ranger or Bergara BMR online. What else us out there in the $500 to sub $1K I should be looking at?
Looking for PRS Comp style, target, or hunting?

Looking for PRS Comp style, target, or hunting?
Informal target, hunting practice, and pest control. Mainly want something that feels like a full sized rifle vs. a smaller sized rifle. I like the M700 footprint rimfires as I know they probably have the "feel" I'm looking for, but they are just over budget for the most part.

Doesn't sound like the new BMR would be a 700 foot print so not sure on stock options if you decided you wanted to change it. The CZ probably has a model with the style stock that you would want. The Tikka uses T3X components and stocks with minor fitting so plenty of options. Any of the 3 will work for what you want with changes available. Maybe find what matches your CF guns closest for familiarity and practice. I will be anxious to see what you get.

My vote is Bergara, but if your budget is tight, the Bergara needs a decent trigger out of the box. IMO, the factory trigger felt a trigger on a cheap pistol.
That said the CZ is solid also. Tikka also, trigger fixes on these 2 are way cheaper.
I helped a lo here, lol

I bought a steel bergara B14r and we had a total blast with it all summer long. Untouched and shot great. Shoots center-x ammo real well. No regrets..