What PDA to get for LR shooting

Sunday, November 14, 2010

9:55 a.m. Western Wyoming Time!

Otter,

I'm 51 and, while I'm very comfortable using a desktop computer, the whole iPod, iPhone, iTouch, Smart Phone, Droid, revolution has left me in the dust curled up in the fetal position! Those devices are amazing in the hands of my friends and more power to them. I got hooked into this thread a few posts back and decided I absolutely had to have something handheld that would go out into the field with me. I bought one on eBay and immediately wondered why I bothered. I haven't even picked it up at the post office, but as soon as I do, I'm going to put it up for sale here and never look back.

What I plan to do is to get a good program that I can run on my desktop, or you can run on your laptop. I think it will be very enlightening to use the program to chart changes in Point of Impact when I plug different variables in... like elevation, wind, barometric pressure, angles of uphill and angles of downhill. I think seen those change of Point of Impact on my computer will help me immensely to develop a sense (classroom sense as opposed to range sense) of how things affect my bullet flight.

When all is said and done I think I will be able to bring my range data home, plug it into my desktop, and come up with a reasonable chart that I can tape on to my gun stock and to use out in the field. I carry a wind meter and hunt with friends who have rangefinders. I do not need to have an handheld computer with me when I'm hunting.

On the other hand I think collecting data at the range, and understanding how different variables affect my bullet flight is mandatory. By the time we grasp those tangible variables, it will put us in much better shape when we're dealing with both updrafts and downdrafts going on at the same time between us and our target.

Way more than 100 words. I've been shooting and hunting for over 40 years and this discipline, and the depth and breadth of material to understand to accurately shoot beyond 500 yards fascinates and impresses me. I've got some different things going on that makes LongRangeHunting a natural choice for me. The areas of Wyoming I hunt are very conducive to this discipline as well.

Good luck to you and me both with all the stuff out there. It's sure cool and valuable but I think as long as we keep the mission in sight; intimately understanding how our guns shoot, and what and how different variables affect bullet flight, we can add a new dimension to our hunting time on the field and have some responsible fun along the way.

Matt

Matt

I'm with you in that MOST shooters do not need to cary a ballistics program with them. Most hunters generally hunt in the same elevation year in & year out. If they hunt in only one area they don't need to factor in huge variables. Plus, most hunters consider 300 yards a LONG shot.

But, when hunting coastal lowlands, the deep south, the midwest, the cold north & the Rockies in the same year as I did last year, being able to type in a few changes & see what will happen to my point of impact is useful IF my shots might exceed 300 yards. Last year such an ability would have made sense for me.

Most don't need a ballistics program they can carry along. For them it's a neat idea that only means carrying one more piece of gear they don't need. For those of us hunting through many variables & pushing the envelope of range, it seems to make sense. For this reason I'm looking into it. I haven't bought anything yet, but with recommended programs for $40, it is at least economical.

Last edited:
Well put Matt. You may have hit the nail right on the head. Good records and drop charts still have a place in LR shooting / hunting. What I managed to learn in the 100,200 and 400 yd benchrest game, was that the wind is seldom doing the same thing at the target as it is in your lap. Or anywhere in between. The farther the shot,the more variables you encounter. You have a sound plan and I tend to agree with your view. Thanks for your input (even if you did use too many words :D) Good luck and good shootin' buddy.

otter you will need a rifle scope you can dial????? the ipod touch is made by apple computers. it is a copy (kinda) of the iphone (smart phone) that is a hand held computer of sorts. if you get an ipod touch and buy/download bulletflight, thats all you need in the field ,it is self contained. now you will need to input data on your guns/loads like bullet speed, wieght, temp, altitude and so on. the only time you will need the internet is when you buy the bulletflight app. from itunes on line.

I like the idea that there are decent ballistic software programs that don't cost an arm and a leg. I don't have a background in benchrest shooting so I have a lot of catching up to do.

Last edited:
Jorvin & Buano, Good points. The whole extreme long range thing is facinating. I have enjoyed a few extra long shots on woodchucks here in PA in the past. Long for me that is. 600yds give or take a few yards is about it for me. That was 25 years ago without a rangefinder. Nothing like what I have been watching on you tube and sites like this. I can't swing a Night Force ,but I do dial my Leupolds. They're pretty darn good too. I routinly dial them from zero to 400 and back with super repeatability. For now anyway. Time will tell how long they will do it. The playing around I have done on the free programs on the desktop have shown me you are right. I didn't realize how much elevation effected trajectory. Combine that with all the other variables you mentioned and look out! Huge differences especially beyond 800 or 1000yds.

I plan to get involved in one of the stock/hunting rifle classes here at the local 1,000yd clubs. A devoted long range rig would be nice,but I have to be realistic. Maybe in a couple years I can put one together. Urban sprall is making it hard to find much looong range woodchucking. The places I used to set up and shoot chucks for a whole afternoon are dotted with houses now. 20 plus years has changed things a lot. The old VSSF 22/250 is adequate for now. In the mean time, I'll try not to be too annoying with all my questions :)

otter ask away. this game is like golf. the more you play the better you get and then you gotta get a set of ping's

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.