What PDA to get for LR shooting

Got an Ipod Touch with my last computer & had it engraved for my teenage daughter because I didn't think I would use it. Now it looks like I need to buy an Ipod Touch for myself!

mcseal2,

Thanks for starting this thread. I had the same question and, after reading these posts, headed to Ebay for some shopping (thanks to lamiglas et. al.) I was able to grab a Dell Axim 30 for about $40 delivered. I've never used one of these gizmos and intend for it to be a single purpose tool.

Matt

i have an iphone so i use it with Bullet flight, developed by KAC (also compatible with itouch). I like it a lot. one cool feature it has is if you have the phone and cell service (or wifi at lodge or somewhere close to where you are hunting with the itouch or iphone) you can get local weather conditions from the weather channel in the app and have it plug in the conditions automatically. you still have to input wind but it will give you temp, pressure, etc.

but i have compared the results from this software with the jbm software and they are extremely close. i made a range card in both out to 1500 yards and the furthest the 2 different software's were off at any given point was like 1.3 inches and that was at like 1200 yards all the rest were with in an inch of each other or less.

this is the only one i have used on the iphone or touch, but i really like it and recommend it.

the pda's are dead! smart phones and the ipod touch are killing off the pda's. i used an ipod touch with the bulletflight program in wy. this year and took a nice doe at 275 yards with my encore pistol. ranged it, dialed my ipod, dialed my scope and took the shot!

Is there a decent ballistics ap for the Droid2? An Iphone isn't an option as AT&T has limited coverage where I live/hunt/travel.

i got a refurbed ipod touch for $125 from apple. the shooting program is all i wanted to use it for. though it does get wifi so at home i load atomos data with a touch of a button. and you can put games on it for when your in your stand/blind. i don't make many phone call from the woods. also batt life is great! the ipod touch works realy well for shooting!

I am typing this on my iPod touch right now, so I have that much. Question is, what is the best app for the touch?

go to you tube. t
i think there is a video of the bulletflight program in action. you can see how you can spin the dials and how fast it is. you can turn of your ipod when your are in the gun you are using than bring that gun right back up when needed

OK. iPod, iPad, iPaq,??????? Can anybody make sense of this for me in 100 words or less? I'm 48, make a living manually, and just got my first lap top a year ago. I'm barely computer literate in as much as I can use one if it doesn't act up on me. I'm into low stress and low maintinance (sp?). So, if I want to have a portable ballistic program, no fuss no muss,and no monthly bill, what do I do? I have no tollerance for dead batteries or "no service". There has to be something designed for a "plug and play" old geezer like myself. Preferably for less than a new Leupold.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.