What it takes to get to 800 yards

AKBman

Just bought a Savage Weather Warrior in 375 Ruger and had the Factory install a 26" barrel ($450). The first range session was 5 different loads but the one promising load was:
260 grain 375 Nosler AccuBond, 79.5 grains WW760, Federal #215 LRM primer.
3022 fps AV, 9fps SD
Holds 2000ftlbs to 630 yards, 1800fps to 677 yards and zero @ 287 yards is +4" @ 165 yards, -1.9" @ 300 yards, -6" @ 355 yards (point blank range) and -60" @ 620 yards.

Plenty of room in the case so I am trying a slower powder to see if I can get more.
The 375 Ruger is a go to 800 yards no problem.... w/ 26" of tube.

KB
Yep it's a wonderfully designed round that easily surpasses the performance of the 375 H&H in a short magnum length action. I've actually been considering picking one up for my African trip since my buddy there is hell bent on taking me buffalo hunting LOL and would also be handy for our upcoming trip to AK.

Glad to hear your .375 is performing so nicely.

A German friend of mine - whom I met here in the SD Safari Club - swears by the 9.3x62 - which is their rough equivalent of the .375 and there was a good article about it in Guns? I just read at the local grocery store a few days ago. Trust you are familiar with it - but here is some info - and I think they were using a CZ rifle. CZ 550 American Kevlar 9.3x62mm Rifle

Q please for the other long range guys: There is a Weatherby Vanguard/24" barrell on sale for under $600 - and they guarantee a sub MOA. It's offered in various calibers - from 30/06 to .300 Mag, 300 W Mag and .338. Vanguard® Series 2 TRR RC (Range Certified) | Weatherby.com

Of those calibers - which would be best for an 800 yard type shot?

Thanks.

Tom

Loaded question, lots of choices. If I had to pick one caliber for a do everything from goats to moose, I would go with a 300 win mag. I have a 7RM and it's awesome, love it. But a 300 win mag gives you the chance to jump into a little heavier bullet for the big stuff without burning a pound of powder every time you shoot it. When I shoot the barrel out of this 7RM I have, I may seriously conisder a rebarrel to a 300 win mag or some wildcat like a 7mm/300 or something. But 300 win mag gets my all around vote.

Glad to hear your .375 is performing so nicely.

A German friend of mine - whom I met here in the SD Safari Club - swears by the 9.3x62 - which is their rough equivalent of the .375 and there was a good article about it in Guns? I just read at the local grocery store a few days ago. Trust you are familiar with it - but here is some info - and I think they were using a CZ rifle. CZ 550 American Kevlar 9.3x62mm Rifle

Q please for the other long range guys: There is a Weatherby Vanguard/24" barrell on sale for under $600 - and they guarantee a sub MOA. It's offered in various calibers - from 30/06 to .300 Mag, 300 W Mag and .338. Vanguard® Series 2 TRR RC (Range Certified) | Weatherby.com

Of those calibers - which would be best for an 800 yard type shot?

Thanks.

Tom
Either of the WM's will get the job done for you very well. If they make the same in 300wby it will as well.

Loaded question, lots of choices. If I had to pick one caliber for a do everything from goats to moose, I would go with a 300 win mag. I have a 7RM and it's awesome, love it. But a 300 win mag gives you the chance to jump into a little heavier bullet for the big stuff without burning a pound of powder every time you shoot it. When I shoot the barrel out of this 7RM I have, I may seriously conisder a rebarrel to a 300 win mag or some wildcat like a 7mm/300 or something. But 300 win mag gets my all around vote.
Those to me are the two best calibers of all time. The 06 had that distinction till they came along.

The difference is as you pointed out and when you throw Elk sized game into the mix the 300's definitely get the nod on energy and BC once you move up to the higher weight bullets, 180gr and up.

Those to me are the two best calibers of all time. The 06 had that distinction till they came along.

The difference is as you pointed out and when you throw Elk sized game into the mix the 300's definitely get the nod on energy and BC once you move up to the higher weight bullets, 180gr and up.

I think the key to that statement is the 180gr threshold. 180 and below the 7RM gets the nod, above 180 would be a 300WM

The 300RUM would be something I am interested in with those 230gr bergers, you are starting to take a 30cal up in those 338 type bullet. The 300wby would also fall in that area. Just can't make myself take te jump to that from my 7RM though

AKBman

Long loaded ammo does not always work in 375 Ruger. OAL to jammed in my chamber is:
300 gr Nosler AB: 3.548"
260 gr Nosler AB: 3.548
260 gr Nosler Partition: 3.331" (shorter than SAAMI Max COAL)
300 gr Sierra SpBT: 3.475"
300 Hornady SpBT: 3.510" (discontinued)
270 gr Speer SpBT: 3.557"

Long loaded rounds can jam the rifling so do a depth measurement first. Nosler warns to deep seat the 260 Partition in most chambers. My COAL to the crimp groove w/ that bullet is 3.300" w/ cases trimmed to 2.580" for a jump of 0.031" so mine is okay. My detachable mag measures 3.490" inside so I can load to about 3.425" w/ no crimp groove bullets.

TomSD

Since you listed "338" I assume that is the WinMag and not the 340 WbMag. My vote is 300 WbMag as a friend had one and I helped him develop truly impressive ammo for it. It does not give much up to the RUM so I would go there. Passed up a Winchester Stainless/Synthetic in 300 Weatherby last year. I always wanted that exact set up (hence my choice). The Savage was on the way and it took all my will power (and fear of my wife) to put back on the rack. That is one hell of a rifle.

KB

TomSD

The metric 9.3X62 is roughly equivalent to the 35 Whelen. Definitely not the gun a 375 Ruger is. 62 grains of powder as opposed to 85 grains. But recoil is manegable and it tosses 286 grain bullets about 2500fps so it works well for most people.

But real men shoot a 375 Ruger!........ LOL!

KB

You are so right, I had forgotten my first experiment with the Sierra BT 300gr, I tried seating them long, and they wouldn't chamber, same with the 350gr Cast, maybe we can get an intermediate bullet, a 315-325gr, a little better BC, but not so much that it eats up too much powder space.

I think the key to that statement is the 180gr threshold. 180 and below the 7RM gets the nod, above 180 would be a 300WM

The 300RUM would be something I am interested in with those 230gr bergers, you are starting to take a 30cal up in those 338 type bullet. The 300wby would also fall in that area. Just can't make myself take te jump to that from my 7RM though
True but you are comparing a heavy for caliber 7mm to a mid range 30 cal. When you compare the heavy for caliber 30's to the heavy for caliber 7's there's no comparison. The 30's run away from them awfully fast.

I have several 7mm STW's and two 300 Rums, and two more 300wm's. When I'm counting on lots of wind I shoot the 30's.

On most any trip I'll take one of the STW's and one of the 30's. On windy days the 30's go to the field and the STW's sit it out.

KB et al: About 20 years ago - I was a Commercial Real Estate Broker for a guy here in SD who built many Apartment Buildings and he had more than a dozen trips to Africa and had Lions, Giant Eland, Zebra, whatnot - mounted in his big office. He hated the Weatherby waaaay back when - 60's and 70's - especially as it was really too fast in some situations for the bullets they had - which would just break apart.

Now - with the better/stronger/better combo/cast bullets - it could be a very interesting choice.

And a friend of mine back in Oregon did have the .340 WBY (and yes - the highest Caliber offered in the gun store add was the .338 Winchester) - along with a small arsenal - including a .30 in .300 Mag. He used to take the WBY with him when logging in Oregon - and set up a smallish - one gallon - paint can across 700 to 1,000 yard canyons, and he could hit them just about all the time he said.

He thought that was just fine if he came across a big elk - and he did drop a nice one - which is mounted in his living room. It was "only" a 5 x 5 but with a very nice basket - which weighed out to about 650 lbs - so it was probably more Roosevelt sub-species than Rocky Mountain Elk - although they do cross breed in some places in Oregon. The critter was going away - slightly under him - at about 700 yards - and it dropped right away - having been shot through the neck.

And yes, the WBY shells look like they could hold a ton of powder - and for under $600 - and a guarantee of sub-MOA - it could be a very interesting rifle to hone in.

I haven't yet really futzed with my 4x4 Mossberg - just took it to an indoor range - and it seemed to be shooting about an inch and a half equivalent (little under an inch at 50 yards) - with the first half of a box of standard/Winchester Core-lokt? 180 grain bullets - and will start shooting it more to see if it can find something off the shelf it likes better - and then start to "lean" on a friend of mine to cook up a few handloads.

Before I bought it - I had called the Mossberg factory rep repeatedly to ask about accuracy - and he said they had some of them shooting under an inch (again - it has an Accu-like trigger - they knocked off - or copied/licensed from Savage - as did Ruger, etc) - and if I didn't like it - he said send it in and they would re-barrel.

With the 2" muzzle brake - beyond the 24" barrel - the 4x4 Mossberg shoots very softly - and I think I mentioned my buddy said it felt like his Ruger .308 - that he really has dialed in to under half an inch. He's got a bad shoulder - and had to sell his 7 Mag - that he also loved and had dialed in nicely.

So - time will tell if my "cheapie" Mossie can reach out there - and again - if not - it's good enuff to "abuse" in thick woods (the type of stuff I grew up hunting in) - and with all the great advice in here - will try something else out for a truly long range rifle. :)

Thanks again all.

Tom

LOL dos. KB - I missed the comment about the .375 Ruger - and yes, it is a very interesting newish round - one that can be shot/fitted in smaller chambers - without giving up anything in performance. I will also be checking it out - and see if a good deal can be had on that. A .375 would be nice - not only if I somehow talk my wife into letting me fork out the dough for a Kodiak hunt (you guys know - that if you buy yourself a "gift" the wife expects one too, righto :) ) - but also convince her that we have not properly "respected" our German friend (in the SD Safari Club) - and his wife's advice to go visit one of their friends - who has a big ranch/hunting preserve in Namibia - which used to be called German Southwest Africa.

Namibia probably has more game reserves per capita than any place in Africa and is safe to visit all over - unlike say some of the cities in South Africa, but once you get out in the veld in SA - you are fine.

TomSD

A braked 7mm RemMag is pretty soft shooting so it should work for recoil sensitive shooters. For people with shoulder problems they need to look seriously at the recoil pads. Some are real pillows but some come pretty hard too. Remmy has a pretty soft number on their synthetic stocks that helps a bunch. There are recoil reducers that fit in the butt stock. Worth looking at. Absolutely nothing wrong with the 7mm RemMag at LR!!!

The SAAMI chamber standards for 300 Weatherby include a long freebore so single loaded rounds can be way out there. This is a BIG advantage. There's not enough difference between Weatherby/RUM for me to quibble when I am doing a rifle on a budget. If you seat the long high-BC bullets just deep enough where the boat tail only and none of the bullet's shank is below the neck they will generally fit a Weatherby chamber. Weatherby's RC labeled guns are accuracy guaranteed. Of the calibers listed it's the 300 Weatherby hands down and goin' away!

Mossberg is Remington owned and source their barrels from the same place. It should shoot fine. 800yds fine I'm not sure but maybe with at least one load.

AKBman

Got that email too. Have bought what appear to be Hornady 300gr SpBT Interlocks in 375 cal same source. Were blems but nothing I can see is wrong with them. My big bug-a-boo w/ RN's is some are copper clad steel jackets. Not going to run them down my bore! Without knowing which bullet I took a pass. Hornady has discontinued the 300gr SpBT's so I have bought as much off the shelves as I can (100 last week). Advise all 375 guys to check their locals and scarf while the scarfing is good.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.