What makes FFP scopes cost so much.

Wild Bill G

I have been thinking I would like to FFP scope but they seem to start 2K range. Are they that much tougher to build than aSFP scope. After picking up a few scopes lately with SFP I have noticed that their elevation reticles are only accurate at top power. As I had never had these kinds of reticles before this kind of blew me away. So if any one can clear this up for me that would be great.

There are many FFP scopes under $1k. Vortex Viper PST, Burris XTR2 and Sightron S3 are just a few. Many people willing to shell out money for a quality scope want a FFP which is why you see many "high end" scopes with FFP reticles.

I think the extra cost is because the reticle is etched in the glass. I'm guessing it's a more expensive process. And because they can

The fact that people are willing to pay. Because of the perceived increase in value. I would bet the increased cost does not coincide with the increased price.

I think the extra cost is because the reticle is etched in the glass. I'm guessing it's a more expensive process. And because they can

Volume perhaps????

These are definitely part of the cost associated to the selling price and so as tooling, production line, market demand, etc ...

I remember when I was in the manufacturing process in early 1980s, we would shut down the entire manufacturing process to make tooling changes (from normal production set-up) on a certain stations to meet customer's specs (variance requirement from the norm). Most changes takes an entire 8-hour shift and that cost is factored into the selling price.

Cheers!

Ed

I did not realize the Vortex Viper PST was a FFP scope and not sure I priced them up here. You would think with all of the range estimating reticles on the market now the FFP scopes would be more common. Is the demand for them on the rise or am I just imagining it?

I did not realize the Vortex Viper PST was a FFP scope and not sure I priced them up here. You would think with all of the range estimating reticles on the market now the FFP scopes would be more common. Is the demand for them on the rise or am I just imagining it?

The demand/usage here in the US is not as high as in the European nation but IMHO it's slowly rising and it boils down to personal choice and intended use.

Most of my scopes are SFPs but my last two purchases in the last couple of years are FFPs ... and I am having fun transitioning with it.

Cheers!

Ed

Vortex is very generous to donating scopes to PRS matches. If you will keep an eye on the optic classifieds on snipers hide you can find a new NIB 6-24 PST FFP for sale, usually between $800.00 -$900.00 shipped. I bought one from my buddy for $800.00, he picked it up off the prize table at one of the shoots. When I bought it there was 3-4 more for sale in the price area I mentioned.

Don Dunlap

Being in Canada I can not get get in on a lot of the things you guys can. Should have asked this earlier why do most of the FFP scopes start at around 6 power. Where I hunt it is a mixed bag a shot could be 50 to 600 yds plus if you wanted it. When in close or on moving targets I find the 6 power to high. Feenix you mentioned transitioning what do you mean?

Being in Canada I can not get get in on a lot of the things you guys can. Should have asked this earlier why do most of the FFP scopes start at around 6 power. Where I hunt it is a mixed bag a shot could be 50 to 600 yds plus if you wanted it. When in close or on moving targets I find the 6 power to high. Feenix you mentioned transitioning what do you mean?

In the low end SWFA has http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Tactical-30mm-Riflescope-P53845.aspx

In Mid range SWFA has http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx and Burris has http://www.opticsplanet.com/burris-3-15-50mm-illum-riflescope.html

There are some members that do not care or have a hard time switching from SFP to FFP, I did not have any problem with it. As previously noted, most of my scopes are SFPs and my last 2 purchases are FFPs (Burris Veracity 4-20x50 for $630 and SWFA 5-20x50 HD for $1000 IIRC). My next purchase will more than likely another FFP.

Cheers!

I have a Leupold varix-III 6.5-20x40 sfp, Marine Corps Mil-Dot Premier Reticle, Mil-Dot reticle with .25 MOA adjustment. The ranging abilities of this scope work on 10 power. I have shoot tac type steel matches successfully out to 1000 yards with this scope, it was what I learned on. Before coming off just bench shooting it was nothing but MOA- MOA.

Like Clint said in Heartbreak Ridge, adapt, improvise, overcome. Now I mostly use my HD SS 5-20. Love that reticle, and like the PST a lot.

Don Dunlap

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.