Who makes a FFP scope with drop compensating marks?

Try looking into Nightforce and Leupold to see if they will make a custom reticule for their FFP scopes.

Look at this Shepard Scope and I believe it to be a SFP:

http://www.shepherdscopes.com

Here is your answer for why would anyone make one in SFP:

joseph

Last edited by a moderator:
every ffp scope has drop compensating marks, but they are units of measurement (mils/moa)

if you know your drop at 800 yards is 14 moa then you use the 14 moa mark

Good question. It is silliness in my mind! Really a graduated reticle in MOA or MIL is a much better way to go anyway so I would encourage you not to worry about finding one in FFP.

With a graduated reticle with fixed hash marks you can shoot any load at any environmental condition and still be perfectly accurate and confident in your shot. On the other hand, with a BDC reticle you are going to be much more limited. There are ways to compensate, but they all end up taking a bunch more time and aren't as accurate when conditions change.

Scot E.

...and why would anyone make one with a second focal plane reticule?

ffp is costly to manufacturer correctly and consistently. Also I guess manufacturers figure if you are shooting that far and having to use hold over you are going to be on max power anyway? Something to think bout as well is that in a ffp with the reticle growing as large as it does in higher magnifications, depending on the substensions you can loose a portion of the reticle. So for example if i'm cranked up to 22x and i'm having to use a stadia line towards the bottom of the reticle, it is possible that the stadia line will not be visible. Take the h59 for example in a sb 5-25. When you are on 25x, only 6 mils are available out of the total 25 mils on the reticle. Usually takes 7.5 or so mils for a magnum cartridge to get to 1000. So to hold over to 1000 i'd have to back the power down. Could you imagine people complaining that they couldn't use their bdc reticle out past 1000 on 25x.........ohhhh the outrage.

Anyway, I also recommend an moa or mil based reticle. However, Nightforce does a velocity reticle in their F1. Plug your ballistics into their reticle calculatorand see if the lv.5 is the recommended reticle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.