Votes: 27 8.9%
  • >20 <25 ft lbs - medium rare

Votes: 73 24.2%
  • >25 <30 ft lbs - flexing in mirror

Votes: 50 16.6%
  • >30 ft lbs - rare and slightly moving OK

Votes: 140 46.4%

• Total voters
As far as kick 30+ is okay. My problems is concussion from big rounds. I start feeling concussed symptoms after 20+ shots and often feel bad for some time after shooting. so for me I see no need for that.

Is your bench beneath a cover/roof? That that enhance the "concussion" rather dramatically…..especially with firearms of a little higher hp rating! memtb

Reason #47 that suppressors are a thing.
I am in Canada and people look at me like I have two heads when I say we should be able to run suppressed. I think the range I belong to would be able to get along with the adjacent landowners better too.
I don't know if it is true but I heard that hunters in Scotland have to run suppressed

I will be hones here guys...I have 4 suppressors of various varieties and NONE of them are even close to reducing recoil as much as a APA muzzle brake or the ones I had built. They serve a purpose but I have never experienced recoil reduction vs a good muzzle brake. What they will do is create carbon on the muzzle quicker along with creating a carbon ring where a muzzle brake doesn't. I still use them for my hunting rifle but not for anything where I am shooting strings of fire.

I'm a big proponent of cans. I can suppress everything I hunt with, all the way up to 338 Lapua/338 Edge. You only get one set of ears and one brain in between them. I go far as to double plug when shooting brakes or indoors. When I put plugs under Walkers I can usually keep up with the conversation pretty well.

NONE of them are even close to reducing recoil as much as a APA muzzle brake
Never said they did. I can handle 338 Lapua slinging 300s with a bare muzzle, a brake, or a can just fine. The TBAC brake that goes under my can is barely effective as a brake anyways. Only one of those has anything to do with making noise output better though, which was said to the point Coop made about concussion being worse than the recoil.

FWIW I have a JP Tank brake on one rifle. Massive recoil reduction... .miserable for whoever is sitting next to me. Physcological warefare on the firing line of a match 😈

Last edited:
Is your bench beneath a cover/roof? That that enhance the "concussion" rather dramatically…..especially with firearms of a little higher hp rating! memtb
We have steel roof over benches. Even though open sided, the muzzle blast/concussion cleans the dust off the trusses pretty good. I feel sorry for swallows and robins that build nest over a short duration when nobody is shooting. The first shot usually encourages them to build elsewhere. I always shoot doubled up ear plug and muffs. My muffs are BT to phone. I like an old bath towel to put down on outdoor carpet in concrete bench. Helps but still get some rubs.

We ask those with brakes to shoot off end benches to help dissipate side blast a little. If someone shows up with a 50, I usually go into truck and listen to music!😂

We have steel roof over benches. Even though open sided, the muzzle blast/concussion cleans the dust off the trusses pretty good. I feel sorry for swallows and robins that build nest over a short duration when nobody is shooting. The first shot usually encourages them to build elsewhere. I always shoot doubled up ear plug and muffs. My muffs are BT to phone. I like an old bath towel to put down on outdoor carpet in concrete bench. Helps but still get some rubs.

We ask those with brakes to shoot off end benches to help dissipate side blast a little. If someone shows up with a 50, I usually go into truck and listen to music!😂

I was gonna put a roof over my bench for for insanely hot days of load development…..but, "re thunk" it and will use netting for shade! 😉 memtb

54BA89BE-1908-4C8A-8CED-959492E270DC.jpeg

@Muddyboots.

Some of your kin?

Speaking of clearing dust off the shooting range roof....I took my McMillan TAC 50 to the range for some of the guys.....one shot is all that was needed to have the entire range to myself!! :oops: I had never shot it under a structure but I loaded up and apologized then left. Every bench and table was covered in dust and debris😔