What is your baseline zero a dial adjustable scope?

what distance do you zero your crosshairs at?

Votes: 82 76.6%

Votes: 7 6.5%

Votes: 17 15.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

med358-boise

Setting aside the debate about "what is long range?", I am doing a little research. We all generally get as close as we can, and if we can get a 100-300 yard shot we would certainly take it but for those of you whose hunt areas and methods make the likelihood of a 400-700 shot a real possiblity...

(This question relates field dial adjustable scopes. Another poll will be posted for stadia mark reticles.)

Last edited:
I like to zero my scope at 100 yards. That way all the elevation corrects are in the UP direction. If you zero at a longer distance then some of your elevation corrections for closer shots have to be done in the down direction.
Huh? The reason I sight at 300 is so I don't have to think about anything from about zero to 350 yards.

I have to say I am surpised at the responses. I usually zero between 210-220. The exact distance is dependent on the load but the parameters are no more than a 2.5 inch rise inside of the zero range and no more than 2,5 inch drop at 250. That way I know inside of 250 there is nothing to adjust for and I am usualy less than 48 clicks out to 600.

Last edited:
Most long range shooters zero at 100 yards I would say. And I bet 95% of all long range comp guys zero at 100 yards……math and calculations are easier ……also you basically take atmospheric conditions out of the equation when zeroing at 100 yards. Zero at 200, 300, etc and you pretty much guarantee that the current atmospheric conditions are different than your current real-time atmospheric conditions.

Now if you're just gonna shoot <300 yards then by all means zero at what you want. I haven't **** below 300 yards in a long time though and all my long range shooting easier from a 100 yard zero.

Most long range shooters zero at 100 yards I would say. And I bet 95% of all long range comp guys zero at 100 yards……math and calculations are easier ……also you basically take atmospheric conditions out of the equation when zeroing at 100 yards. Zero at 200, 300, etc and you pretty much guarantee that the current atmospheric conditions are different than your current real-time atmospheric conditions.

Now if you're just gonna shoot <300 yards then by all means zero at what you want. I haven't **** below 300 yards in a long time though and all my long range shooting easier from a 100 yard zero.
Longtine,

You stated:

also you basically take atmospheric conditions out of the equation when zeroing at 100 yards. Zero at 200, 300, etc and you pretty much guarantee that the current atmospheric conditions are different than your current real-time atmospheric conditions.

I certainly understand the impact of atmospheric conditions but I don't understand the logic behind your statement because atmospheric conditions are always going to be different from the time and place you zeroed to the time and place you are actually taking a shot. As well as, atmospheric condition are always going to be slightly different from where I am shooting and a 1/4 mile, a 1/2, mile and a 3/4 mile away. So I don't understand why it matters if I my baseline zero is 100 vs 200 yards becuase I have to account for atmospheric conditions no matter what.

Thanks just trying to educate myself.

Last edited:
100 yards, for me trying to do anything in the heat of the moment needs to be as little/simple as possible.
Is my scope zeroed at 100 or 200?
Is my claculator for that scope set at 100 or 200?
Are my back up drop cards for 100 or 200?
Too many things to think about. I want to range it, dope it, bang. Unless you are doing maz point blank as you describe above.

IF I am using max point blank as you describe above sighting for even drop above and below, close to max range, then the turret does not get moved. Just point and shoot to what ever that distance is I have figured out for the bread basket. Usually not much more than 300+ yards.