What is the best Way to calculate scope adjustment?

casilva43

Is there one App that is the best? How do most people calculate bullet drop or scope adjustment in the field?

Is there one App that is the best? How do most people calculate bullet drop or scope adjustment in the field?

For yards, inches and MOA with .25 MOA adjustments: Inches of drop at target / (.25*1.047*(yards/100)) = number of clicks. Or divide by four to find MOA.

Even more simple: Inches of drop / (Yards/100) / 1.047) = MOA hold.

For yards, inches and MOA with .25 MOA adjustments: Inches of drop at target / (.25*1.047*(yards/100)) = number of clicks. Or divide by four to find MOA.

Even more simple: Inches of drop / (Yards/100) / 1.047) = MOA hold.

That seems simple enough, but how do I calculate bullet drop?

Once I get my preliminary dope sheet, using a balistics calculator, I run out to the range to validate the calculations. They're usually close; but never perfect.
I then use the range results to fine tune the origianal dope.
You can't rely on manufacturer's BC or some other guys data.
With the dope sheet, a good wind gauge and a good range finder in the field (and the abiity to read and correct for wind and spin drift) you should do just fine.

Once I get my preliminary dope sheet, using a balistics calculator, I run out to the range to validate the calculations. They're usually close; but never perfect.
I then use the range results to fine tune the origianal dope.
You can't rely on manufacturer's BC or some other guys data.
With the dope sheet, a good wind gauge and a good range finder in the field (and the abiity to read and correct for wind and spin drift) you should do just fine.

I live in Texas but would like to shoot further out west hunting? How would I go about getting accurate dope info for places I don't live that have higher elevations and colder weather?

I live in Texas but would like to shoot further out west hunting? How would I go about getting accurate dope info for places I don't live that have higher elevations and colder weather?

All ballistics software has an elevation (or absolute pressure) setting. Just set the atmosphere to the average elevation you'll be hunting at.

A printed out dope sheet is only perfectly accurate at the exact pressure that it was made for, so I carry a dope sheet plus my iPhone and a kestrel wind meter that also gives me absolute pressure.

Spend some time in the users guide of the Shooter app and you'll figure out how all the different settings work together.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.