What is the optimal power zoom for scope to shoot at LRH?

300rum

Hello to everybody,

I want to start a topic regarding the right power zoom at different distances, based on your experience and your eyes quality.
I already search all around the forum, and nobody open this subject.
So, what do you think, and what power zoom do you use when shooting at different distances?

Lets hear your opinion.

What power scope do you guys used for different range between 100-1000yrds on sunny days and in cloudy days, and how do you correct the mirrage at long range shooting.

ex:
at 100yrd - 10x power scope zoom
200-300 yrd - 14-16x power scope
400-1000 yrd - 16-20x power scope.

Thank you
300rum

If it's just a big game gun, 4.5-14 or 3.5-15. If it's a varmint gun, I like to have a top end over 20x.

What am I talking about, all my guns have top ends over 20x /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!

think purpose built ...and buy the best quality you can afford.

i own two leupold 6.5x20x50LR's w/the mill rec. one on a 300WM, and the other on a 6.5/284.

you have to learn to read mirage...something that comes w/ALOT of practice.

anything with a top power from 14-20 power should get the job done, much more and you lose brightness. I was looking at junk cars between 3-4 miles away with my 42x NF yesterday and while it was amazing to see that far you could see the brightness fad at that high of power.

For hunting I think the more important thing is a good low end on your scope. if you are stuck at 10x power and a buck comes out at 30yds you are gonna have a problem. i think that 6x is the max for a low end in a hunting scope IMOP.

My opinion on the cream of the crop for long range hunting rifle scopes would be the leup 4-14x50 and NF 3.5-15x50

take it easy
steve

I really like Leupolds 6-18x40 target/fine duplex. I think 6x is low enough for close situations, and 18x is plenty for 1k+. I usually find myself on 18x no matter how far of a shot it is, I like to see. I agree that much above 20-25x and you start to lose some brightness. I myself like a scope to be crisp and clear all the way around the edges on its highest power, if the scope wont do that, I dont want it on my rifle. I think a 6.5-20 would be very nice to have as well. I hunt coyotes, muleys, elk, and black bears that require shots to be taken usually over 250-300 yards, close shots rarely happen for me, simply because of the terrain I hunt. I dont think I"ll ever put a 3-9 on a big game rifle. Just my opinion.

I've found 10X MIL DOT to be sufficient for a 270 WIN shooting to 900 yds

I have a first focal plane 4.5 X 14 Mil Dot really good for shooting to 1K. Its usually on 14X.

Am seriously considering a 16X Mil Dot for a rifle that is designed to shoot no closer than 700 yds (at least in my dreams).

10X with 1/2 Mil markings would be plenty sufficient for big game at about any reasonable distance.

Thank you guys.
This is what I like about this site.
SERIOSITY AND EVERYBODY WANTS TO HELP YOU, NOT MAKING JOKE ABOUT YOU!
Thanks agains.

For 100 yards or more on paper I like the highest I can afford. For hunting I am only good to 600 yards so far but for varmints I really like a 32 power. I am growing fond of my new Leupold 8.5-25x50 LRT. It seems to do everything well in a scope that is not too big or heavy like my 8-32x50 Black Diamond is. I am not even sure why I buy variables. 99 percent of my shooting is always done on the maximum magnification. If it shows at 50 yards I just give the AO a quick twist and leave it on 32. I cut my teeth on a 6.5-20x40 Vari X III. That said a 4.5-14 is very doable on big game to 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.