What is the best 7mm on the market

JUG BUSTER

Hi I am new to the sight and need some advice on a new rifle. I currently reload a 270 Winchester and would like to start reloading either a 7mm Winchester Magnum, 7mm Winchester Short Magnum, a 7mm Winchester Ultra Magnum, or a 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Which 7mm rifle and what manufacturer would be the best to purchase? Also which manufacturer would give me the longest barrel life and accuracy?[/QUOTE]

Hi I am new to the sight and need some advice on a new rifle. I currently reload a 270 Winchester and would like to start reloading either a 7mm Winchester Magnum, 7mm Winchester Short Magnum, a 7mm Winchester Ultra Magnum, or a 7mm Weatherby Magnum. Which 7mm rifle and what manufacturer would be the best to purchase? Also which manufacturer would give me the longest barrel life and accuracy?
[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the site...

Also, you have it wrong, it is:

7mm REMINGTON Magnum
7mm WSM (Winchester Short Magnum)
7mm REMINGTON Ultra Magnum
7mm Weatherby Magnum

I think you've mislabeled some of your cartridges? I believe you're asking about the 7mm Remington Magnum, 7mm Winchester Short Magnum, 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum, 7mm Weatherby Magnum.

I've had the 7mm Remington Magnum, and the 7mm Weatherby Magnum. The Remington was overhyped in those days, never really lived up to the initial velocity claims made. The 7mm Weatherby in some rifles didn't have the twist for reliable stabilization of long/heavy bullets.

The 7mm Remington Ultra Magnum isn't exactly famous for long barrel life, and can be finicky from what I've heard. You can use the search bar top right corner, and find more first hand threads to guide you there.

I've never had a7mm WSM either, but given your list and concerns with barrel life thats where I'd go.

Your list looking in my mind should include the .284 Winchester, the .280 Remington standard or improved. and the 7mm STW. Each has their positives and negative, but should be your call as to why they don't measure up.

There are other parameters to consider surrounding choice of the rifle you choose to use it in. 7mm WSM seems to be out there in a lot of rifles. I keep seeing new ones, and used ones in my travels.

Accuracy and barrel life could go to the 7mm-08, but from your choices your looking at more horse power.

The best 2 options for barrel life and horsepower is about a toss-up between the .280 Ackley 40* Shoulder, and the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Guess he just likes winchester alot lol. Mudrunner is right about the 7mmRM and 280 AI. Very similar cartridges with good barrel life but are not lacking on power.

To the OP, since you got Winchester on the brain let me suggest a .284 Winchester. Great case design, uses a 308 boltface, doesn't burn as much powder (only 50-55gns) as the 7 mags and sets/holds F class records, good barrel life. Whats not to like?

Hey JUG BUSTER here. Thanks for the quick feed back. I was so excited to be on the site I mislabeled my guns. I think the velocity of the 7mm would help with accuracy. I currently long range shoot with my 270 Win. As I extend the range my bullet really starts to drop. I think this is because of a loss in velocity. That is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards a 7mm of some kind.

Hey JUG BUSTER here. Thanks for the quick feed back. I was so excited to be on the site I mislabeled my guns. I think the velocity of the 7mm would help with accuracy. I currently long range shoot with my 270 Win. As I extend the range my bullet really starts to drop. I think this is because of a loss in velocity. That is one of the reasons why I am leaning towards a 7mm of some kind.

The reason why your 270 starts to drop of is because of the lower B.C. bullet. The 28 cal. will carry better because of the higher B.C.

The reason why your 270 starts to drop of is because of the lower B.C. bullet. The 28 cal. will carry better because of the higher B.C.
There are some pretty good 270 cal pills out there, but 270 win's aren't endowed with big enough boiler rooms to toss the really good bullets fast enough for them to shine. That said, a 270 win with a 130 nos bt at 3100 fps isn't much different than a 7rem with a 140 nos bt at 3200 fps. Step up to a 7stw or 7rum tossing 170gr.+ hpbt's at 3000 fps and you've got a totally different ballgame. Give me a 9" twist 270 stw and some of the heavier pills from the smaller makers and I'll make you believe in 270's again though.

The best 2 options for barrel life and horsepower is about a toss-up between the .280 Ackley 40* Shoulder, and the 7mm Remington Magnum.

Plus 1!!! Can't go wrong with nether one. Later in time if you feel like doin a little wildcatting, I would really give the 7/300 a good look!!(300 win necked to 284)! Very good round!!

Thanks for some more great feedback. With all that being said would I be better off going up to a 30 caliber that is not a magnum, say 30-06. It would have longer barrel life than a 7mm. What would have more power 30-06 or 7mm? If the 7mm has more power I would take that over barrel life.

There are some pretty good 270 cal pills out there, but 270 win's aren't endowed with big enough boiler rooms to toss the really good bullets fast enough for them to shine. That said, a 270 win with a 130 nos bt at 3100 fps isn't much different than a 7rem with a 140 nos bt at 3200 fps. Step up to a 7stw or 7rum tossing 170gr.+ hpbt's at 3000 fps and you've got a totally different ballgame. Give me a 9" twist 270 stw and some of the heavier pills from the smaller makers and I'll make you believe in 270's again though.

Yep! I've pushed the 175 Matrix VLD beyond 3000 FPS in my .270 AI with 30" Lilja, 1:8' and 3-groove, but settled for 2993 FPS as my accuracy load at least at this time. In contrast, my buddy shoots a factory HSM 180 Berger VLD in his Accumark 26" 7MM Rem Mag at 2845 FPS.

Last edited:
Thanks for some more great feedback. With all that being said would I be better off going up to a 30 caliber that is not a magnum, say 30-06. It would have longer barrel life than a 7mm. What would have more power 30-06 or 7mm? If the 7mm has more power I would take that over barrel life.

I would go 7mm RemMag... You can get 1,500+ rounds out of a 7mm RM barrel, if you take care of it. That's alot of burnt powder and slung lead... At an average of 70gr of powder per round, that's 105,000 grains of powder burnt in 1500 rounds. With an average of 7,000 grains of powder per pound, that's 15 pounds of powder burnt through 1 barrel. That's ALOT of trigger time. LOL some folks get 2,000-2,500 rounds out of one if you take really good care and have it melonited, you could probably go 3,000.

Of course, these are just estimstes, guessing barrel life on any gun is about like guessing how many fish are in the ocean...Nobody will ever know, and there might be more, might be less. But there's only 1 way to find out.

I say go for the new Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm RM. Already comes with a 26" 1:9 twist heavy barrel, and a B&C Medalist stock. For the money, it's about the best deal around, that I have found.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.