New to the STW. What makes it special?

Mateo

Hey guys. I'm doing my first build and Mudrunner suggested the STW. I don't know a lot about it. I know I'm going with the 7mm caliber, but haven't decided 100% on casing. After what research I've done, the 7LRM was my choice, but the STW has. Large following that can't be ignored. ;) It was explained that the brass is easy to get/form and relatively cheap. I just wonder about barrel life. What is it at? And what makes the STW different than the RUM? Thanks guys. I'm curious and know it's a good cartridge choice either way. Real question is, will it suit me better than the STW?

Whoa now...I didn't say brass was cheap, I said forming from 8mm RemMag brass was cheaper than buying 7mm STW brass, because they are virtually identical other than headstamp and neck size. LOL

For some reason 8mm RemMag brass costs a little less to buy than 7mm STW stamped brass. I don't know why, but it is. However, 8mm RemMag's adavantage is that it seems to usually be readily available, whereas 7mm STW brass is kind of hard to find at times.

In the classifieds here on the site, you can also find some good deals on STW brass. Just keep your eyes open and when a good deal pops up, act fast.

Actually Nosler 8mm RemMag brass is available right now, so if you do decide to go the STW route, I'd suggest stocking up on brass ASAP.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 8mm Remington Mag Box of 25

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm STW Box of 25

If you do decide to go the STW route, I have some once-fired Remington 7mm STW brass that I've cleaned and polished that I might be willing to let go of, if you really need some. Just let me know.

Sorry, I mixed up cheap. I was sort of implying it was cheaper than stamped 7lrm brass. But I see where I worded that wrong and put words in your mouth. Good to know the STW brass is easy to do or comes stamped if I want that. And thanks for the offer on your once fired brass. I'll definitely consider that! I'm curious about the 'match' grade reamers that are made to tight tolerances. Is this most reamers that are bought and used in custom builds or are they more rare than that? Is it something that you need to request or send fired brass in to get matched? I thought it was anything that wasn't factory in that, factory reamers give extra room for safety reasons. Whatever that means.

The 7stw is about as much performance as you will get in a 7mm bore before you get really short bore life. Most are reporting over 1,000 rounds (I was still shooting sub 1/2 moa at 1,400 rounds with my last rifle) accurate bore life with the 7stw and 600-800 with the 7rum. I've got both a 7stw and 7rum, and if & when my 7rum bbl. is dead it will likely become a 7stw.
You will get around 3400 fps with 140 grain pills and 3000+ fps with 175 grain pills. With the lighter bullets it will run with a 22-250 for mid range trajectory and with the heavy bullets it'll nip on the heals of the mid mag 30's with as good or better trajectory. It'll play ball with full throttle loads without needing a muzzle brake; and if you brake it you will have a very mild shooting rifle that hits HARD.
It also doesn't take special brass; as long as the 300roy, 8rem, 375h&h, 300h&h, and a few other cals. are around, you can make brass. 7stw brass is around, but rem hasn't made a run in a while so it's mostly nos at twice the price when you find it lately. Rem will get around to selling brass again when the ammo/component run tails off, so buy up brass then, but do get enough to shoot for a couple of years if you get into the caliber.

Sorry, I mixed up cheap. I was sort of implying it was cheaper than stamped 7lrm brass. But I see where I worded that wrong and put words in your mouth. Good to know the STW brass is easy to do or comes stamped if I want that. And thanks for the offer on your once fired brass. I'll definitely consider that! I'm curious about the 'match' grade reamers that are made to tight tolerances. Is this most reamers that are bought and used in custom builds or are they more rare than that? Is it something that you need to request or send fired brass in to get matched? I thought it was anything that wasn't factory in that, factory reamers give extra room for safety reasons. Whatever that means.

Tight chamber reamers are usually special ordered by smiths that shoot precision rifles and benchrest comps. Mine shoots both. He is a professional machinist by day, and a gunsmith by night, so ultra-tight tolerances were already ingrained in him. He orders his reamers by his own tolerances, and not an off-the-shelf reamer.

However, if you order a new PTG reamer you should be fine. But if you want to call Dave Kiff over @ PTG, he might be able to help you out more on a tight-chamber STW reamer.

Oh, and John (Lefty) is a good guy who also really knows STW's...Take his word as the truth.

Hey guys. I'm doing my first build and Mudrunner suggested the STW. I don't know a lot about it. I know I'm going with the 7mm caliber, but haven't decided 100% on casing. After what research I've done, the 7LRM was my choice, but the STW has. Large following that can't be ignored. ;) It was explained that the brass is easy to get/form and relatively cheap. I just wonder about barrel life. What is it at? And what makes the STW different than the RUM? Thanks guys. I'm curious and know it's a good cartridge choice either way. Real question is, will it suit me better than the STW?
I've got over 1,200 rds through a remington custom shop STW which was my first plunge. I got to thinking I was close to rebarrelling so I sent it to a buddy of mine that specializes in long range custom guns.

He said he figured I still have way better than half my barrel life to go.

Just don't shoot more than three shots in a minute, give it at least 5 mins to cool down between shot strings and they will last a very long time.

After you get a nice custom STW broke in, send it in and get it melonited and you will extend the barrel life anywhere from considerably to dramatically.

As for what makes it special, see Mudrunner's Signature quote.

It's a thousand yard laser beam when loaded with high BC bullets at a fraction of the recoil of the 7mm Rum.

Speaking of melonite, would having 250 rds through my custom barrel be worth meloniting?

My smith hand-laps all my bores when I get the rifles built, so my break-in is simple...Go to the range, shoot 5 (magnums) or 10 (non-magnums) shot strands, then let it cool down. Then continue. Barrel life is good, and accuracy is great.

That's what I do. But to each his own...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.