what is a palma contuor?

huntinfool18

what is different from other contuors? is it turned down at the muzzle for a sight band? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Palma contures are generaly 30" long have a 3-5" strait shank then tape quickly to about .900" then the rest of the taper is very slight to about .850". At first glance they look almost like their is no taper.

I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this profile is but I think it has somthing to do with being able to have a 30" thats still stiff and will balance well since palma guns are shot off hand

Palma is a long-range prone game played at 800, 900 and 1000 yards with .308's, restricted to sights and bullets of 155 grains or less. The Palma taper barrels are required to get the 30" lengths needed, and still be light enough to conform with both rule restrictions, and the ability of most shooters to support the rifle during strings of slow fire.

I use a 30" Krieger on my Model 70 Palma rifle for both prone and across-the-course competition. It's a long darned thing, but easily handled at the range. Balance is very good for a rifle shot primarily from prone.

The muzzle can be turned down for a sight band, and mine is.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.