palma for hunting?

You can go to Shilen's web site and it list the dimensions of their barrel sizes and they list the size of the Remington barrels so you can compare them.

I built on a fluted, medium Palma recently. I figure that is probably pretty close in weight to a light Palma. It balances nicely. In the future, I'll probably just build on a Sendero or a factory Magnum contour.

My new Bartlein Light Palmer barrel can in and weight 5 1/4 pounds, it is a 6.5
I'm having it cut to 26 in. and hoping for 4 1/2 pounds when it is done

I know Palma barrels were created for the Palma shooting events but don't know the reason? Is it because they use open sights and need a .308 to get max speed? I've been looking around and can't seem to find an answer for this question.

I had my heart set on a light Palma contour (26") for my next barrel on my 7mm RM but now am leaning otherwise due to availability. I've looked at the Krieger contour list and there isn't much difference between a Light Palma, #4 and #5 at 26" long. Seems to me that a barrel that is thinker near the breach end is going to be more stiff than a Palma which tapers quickly but is thicker at the muzzle.

If I Google "long range hunting rifles" I get ones that have contours ranging from #4 to #6 and most are fluted. Seems that if your getting a good barrel, contour makes little difference for hunting.

I went with a slightly modified heavy palma for my 6.5 build. The only difference is, I extended the "B" measurement to 4", in the event I have to have it set back. My build came in at 12.4 with optics.

I wonder which contour is stiffest at a given length and/or weight?

I'm in the same situation. I was planning on a medium 24" palma, maybe flutted. The nice thing about the palma is the 5" of shank to set back on. But w/ all that weight on the back end leaves the barrel w/ less material to "whip". BUT... taking up that much real estate actually shortens the barrel a few inches making it stiffer.

For example using Bartlein contours. A sendero C measures 4.35" making a 24" barrel 19.65" VS Med palma C measures 5.5" making the 24" barrel 18.5"....

Or is the straight taper best? Does this matter for a hunting rig? doubtful, but what if you want to long range plink w/ said rifle? Which is what I'm working on. I'd like to string some shots and not worry, yet it wouldn't be a competition length string of shots.

Is there any experiments similar to the one w/ the weights and fluting? I'd be very interested to see. Surely there is an optimal choice.

Following the "Cantilever beam" theory of a barrel, more mass is required at the breach than the muzzle for increased stiffness. A Palma contour cut to 26" will have a muzzle diameter larger than a #6 contour and weigh less. However, to achieve this, the Palma takes the weight from the breach end where the beam theory says more is needed. I have no idea how a bullet loads a barrel to speculate further. By my estimates, at 26" long, a LP contour is heavier than a #4 and #5.

This is the point I'm interested in. What is the design intent for the Palma contours?

I found this interesting read Comparison of seven barrel contours in .260 Remington. - THR

Just looking at the Krieger list. I know others have different Palma contours which is why I'm asking.

Just looking at the Krieger list. I know others have different Palma contours which is why I'm asking.

I thought so, I've been browsing bartlein and their palmas have an extra 0.5" shank on them making them heavier.

I'm trying to figure out which barrel for a walking tactical 300wm. I also would like to know what is needed to set the chamber back if needed. I'd like to be prepared to set it back once.

I pick up my rifle to day, I building a 6.5 / 270 wsm, it has a Bartlein light palma
barrel. I had 1 inch taken off the shank 4 inch off the muzzle making it 26 inches
The barrel end up 4lb 4oz which is good for what I'm wanting

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts