What is a 30-416

sunshinegirl

A local gun shop has a 30-416 barreled action for sale. I find very little about this monster, so am asking here. Other than burning huge amounts of powder, is it good for anything. By the way, it has a 30" fluted barrel, and is stainless. He is asking ,I think, $650, or $700 for it.

Sounds like a monster. Is it based on the 416 Rigby? If so you could be pushing 30 cal bullets with up near 120 grains of powder and only God knows how fast (but scary fast).

Same as the 30-378 Weatherby. Roy Weatherby used the 416 Rigby as the basis for his 378 case...of course the Weatherby version has the radiused shoulder and a belt, but the case capacity should be about the same.

Last edited:
I don't remember the action makers name off hand, but I can find out. As for the bore, didn't look yet. I was curious about the beast, nothing more. Are you interested, as I can give you his shop number

There is also a 30-416 Ackley improved, Dies are avaliable, you did not specify the ackley. Forming brass is tricky for this one. so far 165 grain Nosler Balistic tip, 3870 FPSIf you like the big ones this will wet your whistle. My big 30 is on a Weatherby action, accuracy is unbeliveable.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.