What feed issues are you having with XM actions

I went with the .750 bolt mainly because i haven't had one before and wanted to try it.

What bottom metal and magazine (models) are you using? Did you have any that worked better than others?

My 'Smith is legit, he won't let it leave his shop if it's not perfect. But I also see why this is so frustrating to people, when you put $3-400 in a bottom metal and mag, you don't expect to have to have a Smith make it work.
I got ya..

i run them in the Sunny hill and snowy mountain bdl' s and ADL's

also XLR chassis with MDT or Inflection mags XM deviant action feeds like a champ

Buy an APA xm length set up with mdt mags cut down too run 3 rounds.. you wont fight anything and have 3.268 max length

Remember just because its cost's 400 bucks doesn't mean it slaps in and you're done!! the mag boxes are shaped and welded using a jig for mass production, same with the springs. They all need tweaking. same with DBM mags sometimes the lips need tweaked and the pillar height needs to be altered just a smidge .. an so on.

Last edited:
He's run it with a 7rsaum case and it did seem to function fine, but the 338max was just not enough case head presentation no matter how much tweaking he did. Rifle actually went back to him and they got it feeding with 2 in but not 3. But Hawkins told him directly that they tried to make the hunter mags work with it and cannot so they have no plans to offer one. I like the hunter mag setup so that's enough reason for me to go with one that will work like lone peak or stiller XM lengths
That doesn't make sense, since the max is a blown out 7RSAUM case it should be the same.. I did a 7max on a bainey box with drop belly metal and it fed 3 just fine
A lot of these "medium length" cats should actually be ran in a long action ..

That doesn't make sense, since the max is a blown out 7RSAUM case it should be the same.. I did a 7max on a bainey box with drop belly metal and it fed 3 just fine
A lot of these "medium length" cats should actually be ran in a long action ..

I would rather just go long action anyways for future flexibility

I have heard that the BDL setup feeds much better than detachable mags, hence the post. My problem with that is the COAL I plan to run is around 3.235-3.245 and the BDL is advertised as 3.2 max coal.
Actually I use DBM with my other rifles, just had to use BDL on this due to lack of XM action DBM/mag options. I have an APA RTG XM length ready to go, when appropriate 3 round mags are produced.
And I can confirm the mag box shipped with Defiance XM BDL is 3.20"

What bullet are you planning on shooting?
Even the 195s work really well at 3.2", 180s are even better in my setup
I plan to run either 190s or 175 eldx (whichever shoots best). COAL with the bullets seated where the bearing surface sits just above the neck/shoulder junction, both are right at 3.2, but I believe my reamer is going to take me out another .020-.030.

I plan to run either 190s or 175 eldx (whichever shoots best). COAL with the bullets seated where the bearing surface sits just above the neck/shoulder junction, both are right at 3.2, but I believe my reamer is going to take me out another .020-.030.
Right on I've actually moved to the 175 eldx in my 7-300 wsm LRI.
Here's a pic with the eldx seated at 3.150, that's. 070 jump in my chamber and it's shooting in the .4s
You'll be perfect with a 3.2" mag
20220518_102121.jpg

I got ya..

i run them in the Sunny hill and snowy mountain bdl' s and ADL's

also XLR chassis with MDT or Inflection mags XM deviant action feeds like a champ

Buy an APA xm length set up with mdt mags cut down too run 3 rounds.. you wont fight anything and have 3.268 max length

Remember just because its cost's 400 bucks doesn't mean it slaps in and you're done!! the mag boxes are shaped and welded using a jig for mass production, same with the springs. They all need tweaking. same with DBM mags sometimes the lips need tweaked and the pillar height needs to be altered just a smidge .. an so on.
I appreciate the insight, Elk. I think I'm going to stick to the plan, try to find an APA dbm and get an MDT mag cut down. I told my Smith he'd probably be throwing stuff across the shop before it was all said and done and he didn't shy away from the challenge.

I may revise that bolt diameter on my order, though.

Used the defiance BDL bottom metal. Was having feeding issues so a swapped the follower from a model 7 to try something different and it fed great. I went on eBay and bought a couple different Remington followers and got one to work. The one that came with the gun allowed the brass to sit too low

.070 is a lot more jump than I usually like. Everything I run sits between .015 and. 030 off.
That's where they shot best for me but you're missing my point, I'm running a .250 freebore which is long even for 195s and if I seated the eldx out to 3.2 I'd have .010 jump.
It looks like you really want the DBM so good luck, I'm just trying to help

That's where they shot best for me but you're missing my point, I'm running a .250 freebore which is long even for 195s and if I seated the eldx out to 3.2 I'd have .010 jump.
It looks like you really want the DBM so good luck, I'm just trying to help
I don't know if you read my last response as confrontational, but that wasn't my intent. I don't know anybody that builds a 7mm intending to jump it .070. I shoot 180 hybrids in a .284 that I jump .015. I doubt optimum jump in a 190 hybrid OR 175 ELDX is .070. I'm glad that works for you and I hope you're not offended that I'm not disregarding everything else that has been shared here to do it the way you did it. Given what I'm loading and my .265 free bore, it certainly makes sense to TRY to make detachable mags work. I do appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks

I don't know if you read my last response as confrontational, but that wasn't my intent. I don't know anybody that builds a 7mm intending to jump it .070. I shoot 180 hybrids in a .284 that I jump .015. I doubt optimum jump in a 190 hybrid OR 175 ELDX is .070. I'm glad that works for you and I hope you're not offended that I'm not disregarding everything else that has been shared here to do it the way you did it. Given what I'm loading and my .265 free bore, it certainly makes sense to TRY to make detachable mags work. I do appreciate you sharing your experience. Thanks
No not at all I'm not a sensitive snowflake 😉
It just seems like you're misinterpreting the data I gave you, i didn't build a rifle to jump them .070 I could jam them if I wanted but they shot like crap until about .050 off.
It sounds like you already have a custom reamer so you're stuck with excessive freebore.
The Eldx like to be jumped in every rifle I've shot them in but with a freebore of .265 you're going to be seating the bearing surface boat tail junction up the neck a bit if you're looking to load them .015 off the lands. The pic I showed you at 3.150 is with the junction right at the bottom of the neck, just something to consider.
Best of luck with it, if your smith can't make your dbm work right then don't pay him