What feed issues are you having with XM actions

Floundertrap

I'm gathering parts for a "light-weight" 7-300wsm build. I've ordered so far:

Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, full nitride, .750 bolt.

Proof 1:8, 26" sendero contour

Manners LRH stock, M-5 bottom inlet

My plan has been to run a hawkins or APA bottom metal and MDT mag. I keep getting pushed toward the BDL bottom metal, folks are telling me they've had horrible luck getting mags to feed. I have time to change things now before they arrive, if I need to. My biggest hang-up is the BDL box offers less COAL, enough to impact my seating depth significantly.

So my question, for those who have been down this road, what problems did you have and were you able to correct them? Does any particular bottom metal and mag combo work better than others?

I really appreciate any first-hand insight.

TK

I've had Hawkins, grayboe and other m5 mag boxes with Hawkins hunter, standard m5, accurate mag and ai mags from 22 creedmoor to 308 to 7wsm to 338 edge and have yet to have any sort of feeding issues. They're running thru Stiller, Defiance, Tuebor, Lone Peak, Curtis and standard 700 actions. I don't recall a single problem feeding any of the cartridges listed.

I've had Hawkins, grayboe and other m5 mag boxes with Hawkins hunter, standard m5, accurate mag and ai mags from 22 creedmoor to 308 to 7wsm to 338 edge and have yet to have any sort of feeding issues. They're running thru Stiller, Defiance, Tuebor, Lone Peak, Curtis and standard 700 actions. I don't recall a single problem feeding any of the cartridges listed.

On a XM? I don't think Hawkins makes XM length hunter mags that will work with the defiance. I think this is a major issue personally. Hawkins and a couple top smiths I know say defiances feed ramp is too steep and will not work properly. I know a guy and maybe he will pipe in here but has a defiance XM that is chambered in 338 max, had to have the BDL worked on and the feed ramp ground to get it to feed. But still won't with 3 in the chamber

curious as too why your ordering it with a .750 dia bolt instead of .700"

there isn't any feed problems that I've seen.. 7RSAU, 300 RSAM, 6.5RSAUM, 7WSM, 300 WSM, too name a few that I've done...

with that said please make sure the "smith" you use actually tunes for function before slinging it out the door .. happening a lot lately!!

there isn't any feed problems that I've seen.. 7RSAU, 300 RSAM, 6.5RSAUM, 7WSM, 300 WSM, too name a few that I've done...

with that said please make sure the "smith" you use actually tunes for function before slinging it out the door .. happening a lot lately!!

He's run it with a 7rsaum case and it did seem to function fine, but the 338max was just not enough case head presentation no matter how much tweaking he did. Rifle actually went back to him and they got it feeding with 2 in but not 3. But Hawkins told him directly that they tried to make the hunter mags work with it and cannot so they have no plans to offer one. I like the hunter mag setup so that's enough reason for me to go with one that will work like lone peak or stiller XM lengths

I've got a Defiance Anti-X XM with Hawkins M5 dbm bottom metal running a chopped down 4 round mdt magazine (sourced from Axis Works) for a 7 Max and have not experienced any feed issues. I've also got a hunter dbm on a different rifle in 6.5 SS, and definitely prefer the M5 dbm , easier to release the mag.

I've got a 7 SAUM built on an anTi XM with their XM length alloy BDL, box, spring and follower. No problems with feeding in the year I've had it. Just over 150 rounds at this point.

I'm gathering parts for a "light-weight" 7-300wsm build. I've ordered so far:

Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, full nitride, .750 bolt.

Proof 1:8, 26" sendero contour

Manners LRH stock, M-5 bottom inlet

My plan has been to run a hawkins or APA bottom metal and MDT mag. I keep getting pushed toward the BDL bottom metal, folks are telling me they've had horrible luck getting mags to feed. I have time to change things now before they arrive, if I need to. My biggest hang-up is the BDL box offers less COAL, enough to impact my seating depth significantly.

So my question, for those who have been down this road, what problems did you have and were you able to correct them? Does any particular bottom metal and mag combo work better than others?

I really appreciate any first-hand insight.

TK
Have you contacted Hawkins, they do make DBM bottom metal for the XM in Defiance.

I went with the .750 bolt mainly because i haven't had one before and wanted to try it.

What bottom metal and magazine (models) are you using? Did you have any that worked better than others?

My 'Smith is legit, he won't let it leave his shop if it's not perfect. But I also see why this is so frustrating to people, when you put $3-400 in a bottom metal and mag, you don't expect to have to have a Smith make it work.

I've got a 7 SAUM built on an anTi XM with their XM length alloy BDL, box, spring and follower. No problems with feeding in the year I've had it. Just over 150 rounds at this point.
I have heard that the BDL setup feeds much better than detachable mags, hence the post. My problem with that is the COAL I plan to run is around 3.235-3.245 and the BDL is advertised as 3.2 max coal.

I have heard that the BDL setup feeds much better than detachable mags, hence the post. My problem with that is the COAL I plan to run is around 3.235-3.245 and the BDL is advertised as 3.2 max coal.
What bullet are you planning on shooting?
Even the 195s work really well at 3.2", 180s are even better in my setup

I went with the .750 bolt mainly because i haven't had one before and wanted to try it.

What bottom metal and magazine (models) are you using? Did you have any that worked better than others?

My 'Smith is legit, he won't let it leave his shop if it's not perfect. But I also see why this is so frustrating to people, when you put $3-400 in a bottom metal and mag, you don't expect to have to have a Smith make it work.

Really? Your "smith" is the one putting it all together. He's responsible for making sure it works. When you spend "$3-400" on bottom metal and magazine, you're paying for products, that work, when properly installed by a competent gunsmith.

And FWIW, fat bolts are more difficult to tune for feeding than a .700 bolt, so you're not helping things there.