What feed issues are you having with XM actions

@Floundertrap get ahold of justin linenbach of kinport peak rifles in pocatello idaho - he can cut down XM mags for ya!
I've spoken with him and I'm probably going to go that route. According to MDT they have no plans to make a 5 rd. As I understand, APA bought the Inflection magazine design/rights but I've heard nothing beyond that. I do hope to get one of their bottom metals.

on the bullet jump .. i think a lot of people would be blown away when they test "Match bullets" .035"- .120" off and shoot tighter and narrower ES ..
and on a side note I've found the node wider farther off;) on more than one rifle
You're probably right, most factory rifles that shoot well do it with a lot of jump. I guess I've been lucky that I have found good loads before getting beyond .030 or so. Maybe one day I'll have that one that wants to jump a bunch.

You're probably right, most factory rifles that shoot well do it with a lot of jump. I guess I've been lucky that I have found good loads before getting beyond .030 or so. Maybe one day I'll have that one that wants to jump a bunch.
not luck really, that's just where most people put them and they shoot good so they set it and forget about it!

I got ya..

i run them in the Sunny hill and snowy mountain bdl' s and ADL's

also XLR chassis with MDT or Inflection mags XM deviant action feeds like a champ

Buy an APA xm length set up with mdt mags cut down too run 3 rounds.. you wont fight anything and have 3.268 max length

Remember just because its cost's 400 bucks doesn't mean it slaps in and you're done!! the mag boxes are shaped and welded using a jig for mass production, same with the springs. They all need tweaking. same with DBM mags sometimes the lips need tweaked and the pillar height needs to be altered just a smidge .. an so on.
I'm stuck in this exact boat and curious to what you run .. want a Defiant xm on a Xlr chassis to run 7Saum/ 300 wsm and a separate bolt, running a wto switch lug and throw a 6.5 creed or 308 barrel on but concerned about feeding issues out of a xm length mag

On a XM? I don't think Hawkins makes XM length hunter mags that will work with the defiance. I think this is a major issue personally. Hawkins and a couple top smiths I know say defiances feed ramp is too steep and will not work properly. I know a guy and maybe he will pipe in here but has a defiance XM that is chambered in 338 max, had to have the BDL worked on and the feed ramp ground to get it to feed. But still won't with 3 in the chamber
I've got a Defiance antiX XM length with Hawkins DBM (I think it's M5) running Accurate Mags that were cut down to 3 round capacity. Rifle is chambered in Sherman 7 Max, have run everything from super long 195 grain Bergers to 131 Hammers and it has had zero feed issues over many hundreds of rounds. Build was done by AxisWorks in Tempe.

I'm gathering parts for a "light-weight" 7-300wsm build. I've ordered so far:

Defiance Deviant Hunter XM action, full nitride, .750 bolt.

Proof 1:8, 26" sendero contour

Manners LRH stock, M-5 bottom inlet

My plan has been to run a hawkins or APA bottom metal and MDT mag. I keep getting pushed toward the BDL bottom metal, folks are telling me they've had horrible luck getting mags to feed. I have time to change things now before they arrive, if I need to. My biggest hang-up is the BDL box offers less COAL, enough to impact my seating depth significantly.

So my question, for those who have been down this road, what problems did you have and were you able to correct them? Does any particular bottom metal and mag combo work better than others?

I really appreciate any first-hand insight.

TK
I have a Defiance Hunter XM CRF with Claw extractor. Built for 6.5WSM. Proof, Manners Sunny Hill BDL bottom metal with follower, spring, and box supplied by Defiance. The COAL is way over 3", like 3.120. The rifle did not feed smoothly with the standard parts. CRF's are usually tough if you don't have experience. I had another rifle, CRF, that didn't Feed as well as an old model 70 or commercial Mauser. Jon Beanland tuned it by cutting a grove in the follower. I used the same type of modification on the defiance. The key is getting the cartridge up out of the box before or at the same time the nose hits the feed ramp. Lighter spring the better. My little experience with M5 has shown the angle of the DBM has to be at the correct angle in order for the bullet nose to not get wedged in the box before it enters the back of the chamber. Kinda the box angle helps with the feed ramp angle.
this is just my experience. Find a good Smith that has this experience and it will all work out.
RF

Really? Your "smith" is the one putting it all together. He's responsible for making sure it works. When you spend "$3-400" on bottom metal and magazine, you're paying for products, that work, when properly installed by a competent gunsmith.

And FWIW, fat bolts are more difficult to tune for feeding than a .700 bolt, so you're not helping things there.
True enough, but...you have to give the smith the right parts which work together as a system. You can't drop a '79 F-150 off at your mechanic shop along with a CAT 3512 and say "drop this engine in, and it better work".

Hmm so sounds like even with the Correct cartridge still could have feeding issues introduce a shorter 308 2.8-2.9 could have even bigger issues ? If this is the case I might as well go long action and load a 6.5 x 55 / 30-06 in Lou of a 6.5 creedmore / 308… I just have all the loading components for these rounds

True enough, but...you have to give the smith the right parts which work together as a system. You can't drop a '79 F-150 off at your mechanic shop along with a CAT 3512 and say "drop this engine in, and it better work".
I don't think he's asking him to fit a Long Action bottom metal to his Medium length Mauser action, which your analogy depicts.