What factory rifle?

Howa; the most under-estimated rifle on the market!!!
They are quite good. Why not? They're made in Japan where the highest of technology is not only designed, but gets put to the test most usually before any other nation tries it. I really like my stainless M1500 in .223Rem. It's lightweight, has a good feel to it in its lefty thumbhole stock and it was just a few bucks under $600 walkin' out the door. It ain't half-bad when it comes to accuracy, too. I like the Howa so much I'm thinking of a barreled action in 6.5mm Creedmoor dropped into an aluminum chassis for my next brain-damaged misuse of money...

While I would consider it more of a semi-custom, my Cooper is exceptionally accurate, and has performed flawlessly, going on 10 years of hard use.
In factory class rifles, which I used for factory class competition for several years, I have been very impressed by the Remington Mil-Spec rifles. These rifles have traditionally been 'off catalog" and offered by a limited number of dealers. Not sure if this is still the case, but Remington used M24 stock to produce these rifles. They all have stainless barreled action/HSP stock with very good fit and finish, appearing to get an extra measure of attention over the standard production tiles. Out of the box accuracy with four rifles I have owned, and about a half dozen others owned by buddies produced sub- .5MOA accuracy, and would maintain this accuracy level to+2000 rounds of high-volume, hot summer shooting. Bore-scoped barrels look more like my custom barrels, maintaining accuracy for +200 rounds and cleaning up with minimal effort. IMO, these rifles are a bargain at selling for $800-$1100. They hold their own to my full customs costing 2-3X the price. My most recent purchase, a 300WM which I decided to give a try for a LR hunter, has performed equally as well and is currently showing no change in performance or barrel/throat wear at five years/700 rounds of shooting. An added benefit is that one can take advantage of the myriad of accessories and upgrades available for the Remington 700.

I have had similar accuracy with my four Remington 700 Mil-Spec rifles. Three are in 308 Win and one in 223 Rem/5.56 NATO. All four shoot better than 1/2 MOA. I bought the first in 308 Win back in 2006 from a local gunshop. They had ordered it for a customer who paid 50% down, then decided he didn't want it. I got it for $600.00 out the door! It shot (still does) so well that I used it for my 1st 1,000 yard rifle. Shot a good number of 10 round 1,000 yard groups under 7", with several under 5". The 1st opportunity I got to get another for under $900.00, in 2009, I did. Also a 308 Win and also sub-1/2 MOA groups consistently. Later, around 2012, I ran into another great deal on a 3rd Rem 700 Mil-Spec in 308 Win and scooped it up also. Accuracy same as the other two. Right after the 3rd Mil-Spec 308, a local gun shop had a huge sale and I picked up a Rem 700 Mil-Spec in 223 Rem. It shoots Black Hills Match 77gr factory loads in the .3s, occasionally in the .2s.

The only issue i can see for the OP with a Remington 700 Mil-Spec, is that in 300 Win Mag or 300 RUM, it feels and fits nearly identical to the 700 Sendero that he already owns!

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?
It's hard to beat a Weatherby Mark right out of the box, good barrels, decent furniture and with near mounts and good glass it would be hard to find better without having work done. In fact I don't know what you could have done to improve one, have seen so many right out of the box shoot exceptional at matches.

Have you looked at Steyr ProHunters?

I didn't see them mentioned. I have multiple Steyr rifles, handguns and an AUG. I've been amazed with the accuracy I achieve. I also just got a Christensen ELR 338 Lapua but still in load development so I can't comment on it yet.

Your going to laugh at me but...… The Ruger predator is a 350 to 450 dollar rifle. I have some very good shooter's that cost a 1000 dollars and up. But this cheap rifle match's them shot for shot. I MEAN ITS GOT ROUGH MACHINE MARKS all over the receiver and bolt. Its a little soppy in the action but very livable .I have just barrel's that cost more than that 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger that I bought .I mean I changed the stock to a Magpul and it very light . I got a spring on the internet for 4 dollars that bought the trigger pull two 2lb. This rifle caught my interest because of the buzz on the internet and how good it shoots. So I got curious OR maybe I just got lucky I bought it on sale for 350 , But I bought another one in a Grendel for 340 and it shoots great .I have never been a big fan of Ruger .BUT AFTER SEEING THE RESULT OF PEOPLE AT THE RANGER WHO OWN THEM ...I bought a Ruger precision rifle IN 6.5 PRC.... THE ICON that I use on the left corner is the result. But thats 1300.00 dollar rifle...THEY DO MAKE the predator IT IN 300 WIN MAG AND 243 WIN..... I am going to buy them. IT WON'T BE A BIG LOST IF THEY DON'T SHOOT AS WELL. AND I CAN THROW THEM AROUND..AND BEAT THEM UP. Something I would not do with a good rifle. WHY SPEND A THOUSAND OR TWO WHEN YOU WILL GET THE SAME RESULT.....I MEAN I'M JUST SAYING.
I wish they offered it in an LH .260 Remington version.

I'd buy it in a minute for a light weight hunting rifle.

To do a custom:
Action: tried rem 700 or custom , similar price when all said and done.
Action:850-1200
Barrel : 350 steel Bart or brux
Bottom metal, mag. 150-250?
Trigger: 150 ish
Stock: 200 for Boyd's or top end 800 ish for edge fill, carbon. Say 500 in the middle.
Pretty much looking at a minimum of 2k just in parts. That's not including a rail, brake muzzle threading or any other Smith work.
Now I love to go this route but under 2k? How? Then if.you upgrade to edge fill, adjustable stock,barrel , dbm, Jewell, skies the limit .
I'd look real hard at the seekins havak. It starts to look like a steal in a hurry.
Also, the couple CA ridglines I've been around shoot very well. They produce a lot of rifles at a tough price point. There WILL be lemons but the odds r good you'll get a shooter with them also.

Also check out the Alamo precision website. They have solid rifles ready to go at fair prices. Very nice outfit. They built a sweet carbon 300prc for me that's a real shooter. Anyway, some thoughts if the OP is even watching anymore

I'm looking for a factory rifle that I can use for anything and everything, and that has the ability to reach out there at longer distances. I'm currently shooting a Remington Sendero in .300 rum, and I've killed a lot of animals with it, but I've never been able to feel completely confident in it. I've been looking at the browning hells canyon LR and the Christensen Arms Ridgeline. The ridgeline has all the features I'm looking for, but I've heard that it's not uncommon for them to have accuracy issues due to issues with the barrels. I'm also trying to decide between a .300 win and a 28 nosler. What are your guys thoughts?
As my nephew asked me 5 years ago, "Have you tried a Savage?" I was so impressed with the accuracy of his that every rifle I've bought since then has been a Savage.

To do a custom:
Action: tried rem 700 or custom , similar price when all said and done.
Action:850-1200
Barrel : 350 steel Bart or brux
Bottom metal, mag. 150-250?
Trigger: 150 ish
Stock: 200 for Boyd's or top end 800 ish for edge fill, carbon. Say 500 in the middle.
Pretty much looking at a minimum of 2k just in parts. That's not including a rail, brake muzzle threading or any other Smith work.
Now I love to go this route but under 2k? How? Then if.you upgrade to edge fill, adjustable stock,barrel , dbm, Jewell, skies the limit .
I'd look real hard at the seekins havak. It starts to look like a steal in a hurry.
Also, the couple CA ridglines I've been around shoot very well. They produce a lot of rifles at a tough price point. There WILL be lemons but the odds r good you'll get a shooter with them also.

Also check out the Alamo precision website. They have solid rifles ready to go at fair prices. Very nice outfit. They built a sweet carbon 300prc for me that's a real shooter. Anyway, some thoughts if the OP is even watching anymore

Just for the sake of discussion; let's try this again. (1) buy used 7mm mag Remington 700 rifle, 500-600$: buy best barrel you want installed, 600$: true the action and replace trigger, 500$. Now you should have a 1/2MOA or better rifle and now you can tune to your chosen ammo. Scope with pic rail(10,15 or 20MOA??). My suggestion, make the stock you're last purchase after you are completly happy with the performance of the new rifle. Could be a year or two? All this can work extremely well, if you can establish a personal relationship with a reputable gun smith; and for the record, I am not one! I have seen this process work and it can provide additional long term benefits. I hope you have fun and I truly wish you the best of luck.

They are quite good. Why not? They're made in Japan where the highest of technology is not only designed, but gets put to the test most usually before any other nation tries it. I really like my stainless M1500 in .223Rem. It's lightweight, has a good feel to it in its lefty thumbhole stock and it was just a few bucks under $600 walkin' out the door. It ain't half-bad when it comes to accuracy, too. I like the Howa so much I'm thinking of a barreled action in 6.5mm Creedmoor dropped into an aluminum chassis for my next brain-damaged misuse of money...
Howa made the best Weatherbys.

OP is asking for a factory rifle.
True! but he did tamper down his request when he wrote " never been able to feel completely confident in it" Seems to suggest that maybe he will have future issues with other factory rifles. Just maybe, he is at that point in time when a custom barrel might better suit his wants and needs: they often do.

I wish they offered it in an LH .260 Remington version.

I'd buy it in a minute for a light weight hunting rifle.
Look into the offerings by Bergara. They have excel-fabulous barrels right from the factory, there are lefties available, some come in full-length chassis or in a mini-chassis that's embedded into a composite stock and they're guaranteed to shoot 1.0 MOA with premium factory ammo. A good friend of mine has a Bergara B14 HMR in .308Win that shot .191 MOA at 200 yards the very first time he had it to the range-- right out of the box. He paid less than $1000 for the rifle. The refurbished Nightforce was also a help in the effort.

Bergara sells 6.5mm Creedmoors; ain't much to cut a .260Rem chamber into that.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...ew-for-2019-bergara-b14-series-hmr-left-hand/

Lefty 6.5 Creed: Bergara product number B14S352L. Just search the number; you'll find several sources.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.