what donor rifle for 338 EDGE build?

rocky_lange

I have a guy interested in trading me a 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag. Is this action suitable for a 338 Edge or a RUM? I know the bolt face will work, but will the .3" difference in the COAL matter or is a simple cut into the action the answer?

Rocky

I would think that it would be a good fit.

I don't have an Edge, but Shawn based his on the Rem LA and I have a 270 AM which can't be any shorter than an Edge and it works fine in the Rem action.

I'd gett'er done!

It should work fine. Shawn developed the 338 edge off of a remington long action. And a 700 long action is 700 long action is a 700 long action. The only difference is the bolt faces.

On a side not. I would personally look into a custom action. They can be had for a reasonable price and make for a better rifle in the end. But that is just me, it is your rifle so do what makes you happy.

If you do not already have the receiver you may think really hard about going with one of the custom receivers instead. I have been working with Borden Timberline Magnum receivers and they are simply the best receiver in this class I have ever used.

They come set up for the Edge including the extended Wyatts mag box window. They are a bit more then a Rem 700 but not by much when you figure in all the work needed to accurize a Rem 700 to get it ready to build on and in the end, you still have a Rem 700.

Do not get me wrong, the Rem 700 is a great receiver and easily the best factory receiver out there but it can not compare to a Borden receiver even if properly accurized.

Again, if you own a Rem 700, its not worth it but if you have to trade or pay for a donor receiver, looking at a custom receiver may be something you thought was out of your price range but really its not when you look at what you get right out of the box.

The Stiller receivers also can be ordered ready to roll with the extended mag box and again is a good custom receiver option. Just a thought if you do not already have the receiver.

Again, the Borden Timberline is the very best receiver I have used in this size class. Works with all Rem 700 accessaries and stocks as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.