what does a click mean on the target?

Professor Doolittle

Question for anyone who may know: My ballistics app says that I need to add exactly one click(.1mrads) if I'm shooting at 1015 yards instead of 1000 yards, meaning a dialing error of .1mrads would be a 15 yard target range error. But what does that mean for vertical error on the target? that if you had a paper target at 1000 and were 1 click high on the turret then how much higher on the paper will the hole be?
I suppose you could say that since .1mrad is 3.6 inches at 1000 yards then its 3.6 inches but that's not exact because that's just elevating the line of sight to the target without accounting for true trajectory of climbing and then falling to the target.

What if I'm shooting at 1430 yards? How do I know what the vertical error at the target caused by each click is? Why don't ballistic apps show this? Another thing I'm surprised they don't show is how high the bullet is above line of sight to the target because if you're shooting under tree canopy you need to know if you have clearance. I've actually encountered that.

The strelok app does show that.
Input your distance to target,hit calculate, then towards the bottom there is a tab to click for "additional info". It will show velocity, energy, and click value at that distance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-070631.png
    Screenshot_20220223-070631.png
    34 KB · Views: 39
The strelok app does show that.
Input your distance to target,hit calculate, then towards the bottom there is a tab to click for "additional info". It will show velocity, energy, and click value at that distance.
Thanks! So the "click value" is the vertical expected change if you add or subtract one click? that's very valuable if you ask me because very often the ballistic software suggests a come up that's between two clicks and has to be rounded and which way I round depends on the situation of the moment.

Yes. So these were figures in moa @ 1040 yds.
1 click is 2.7 inches
Terrific, thank you! I happen to already have StrelokPro in addition to AB and Hornady apps. I fucked up my data yesterday trying to do Hornady's axial form factor adjustment only to realize after the session I had my zero angle set to 10° and I had forgotten to put in my zero distance. Have to retake all that data. My lesson: if you're going to fine tune anything all variables have to be nailed down including things that are loose on the gun. I shot a $300 matrix once and discovered afterwards the muzzle brake was rattling and loose the whole time. You've got to be focused in this sport, there's no room for stupid oversights.

The rifle I have saved on my phone app (Ballistics AE) has 203.05" of drop at 1000 yards under standard conditions, it has 210.81" at 1015. So I would expect the difference of 7.76" to show as that much high at 1000.
Professor- you misplaced the decimal in your post, .1 mrad is .36" @ 100 yards.

Also think about this:
It only takes about 20 fps difference in velocity from one shot to another to equal .1 mrad vertical at that distance.
Or being off the BC number by about 5%.

Question for anyone who may know: My ballistics app says that I need to add exactly one click(.1mrads) if I'm shooting at 1015 yards instead of 1000 yards, meaning a dialing error of .1mrads would be a 15 yard target range error. But what does that mean for vertical error on the target? that if you had a paper target at 1000 and were 1 click high on the turret then how much higher on the paper will the hole be?
I suppose you could say that since .1mrad is 3.6 inches at 1000 yards then its 3.6 inches but that's not exact because that's just elevating the line of sight to the target without accounting for true trajectory of climbing and then falling to the target.

What if I'm shooting at 1430 yards? How do I know what the vertical error at the target caused by each click is? Why don't ballistic apps show this? Another thing I'm surprised they don't show is how high the bullet is above line of sight to the target because if you're shooting under tree canopy you need to know if you have clearance. I've actually encountered that.
Also if your shooting over a hill you can aim.through the hill at the target I've actually encountered this. I've also had a pine tree mid range that I had to shoot through a hole in the branches .

The best thing is to use a FFP reticle. You can look at any obsicle and measure the deviation of a hole or a hill. If the hill is at say 300y and 500 is the target I'm aiming throu the bottom of a cactus which is at 300. The difference between a 300 and a 500 is 1.6 mils. The cactus is .8 mils tall as I look through my scope. I know my bullet can clear.

The rifle I have saved on my phone app (Ballistics AE) has 203.05" of drop at 1000 yards under standard conditions, it has 210.81" at 1015. So I would expect the difference of 7.76" to show as that much high at 1000.
Professor- you misplaced the decimal in your post, .1 mrad is .36" @ 100 yards.

Also think about this:
It only takes about 20 fps difference in velocity from one shot to another to equal .1 mrad vertical at that distance.
Or being off the BC number by about 5%.
I see what you mean, that another way to see the vertical offset is to look at the drop.

Now what about peak height if you're shooting through trees? Does 203 inches of drop mean that if the target is at the same height as the shooter then the bullet will peak at 203 inches above the line of sight? Lets say the time of flight was 2 seconds, the bullet drops 203 inches in 2 seconds, but if you shoot the bullet upwards, which is what happens if the target is level, then drop is not going to be 203, but its not going to be half that either. I think 203 means the drop shot out of a level barrel, not peak height when shot upwards. So How do you calculate the peak height of the trajectory?

To find your maximum ordinance (MaxOrd), which is the highest point in a projectile's trajectory, all you have to do is change your "zero" range to the range of your target in a ballistic app and then scroll down the drop data to find the highest point. It will show you the entire trajectory. If I have a 100 yard zero and adjust my turret for a 1000 yard shot, all I'm really doing is changing my zero to be at 1000 yards. With the same rifle in my prior example, the MaxOrd is 67.35" @ 529 yards.
2C198764-1417-49A1-80E0-75006291CE2D.png

My Kestrel will show max height and remaining velocity too.

Terrific, thank you! I happen to already have StrelokPro in addition to AB and Hornady apps. I fucked up my data yesterday trying to do Hornady's axial form factor adjustment only to realize after the session I had my zero angle set to 10° and I had forgotten to put in my zero distance. Have to retake all that data. My lesson: if you're going to fine tune anything all variables have to be nailed down including things that are loose on the gun. I shot a $300 matrix once and discovered afterwards the muzzle brake was rattling and loose the whole time. You've got to be focused in this sport, there's no room for stupid oversights.

LANGUAGE WARNING..