Building a LR target rifle

I think a 260 is a great choice for what you're looking to do. I run a straight 284 Win from a 19" barreled SP and it does great out to the end of it's super sonic range which is about 1400 yards with my load and conditions. I'd expect the 260 to perform just as well with the right load.

I have a 260ai i run 140 berger vld hunting at 2900 fps. Small recoil, short action round and plenty of power to ring steel to your 1500 yards. I have shot rocks will another guy shooting straight 260 rem at 1680, kicks up a pretty good splash

Re: Building a LR target rifle (or modding one)

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle that shoots 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M (Match) ammo in 1/2"MOA groups.

But Ruger anticipated the desire to customize and designed the RAP to be modified by owners. You can add any AR type stock, AR pistol grip and many metal fore ends. It's threaded (and capped) for a muzzle brake (gen. II RAPs come with a brake), the barrel removes with an AR spanner wrench, the end of the bolt handle can be unscrewed and replaced and soon there will be aftermarket triggers, though the factory trigger is very good.

As a plus Ruger invented a dual magazine catch to accept virtually any .308 size magazine (except some gov't. metal mags). It can latch magazines either at the side or at the rear. Clever.

I have made the following modifications:
1. Magpul MIAD modular pistol grip
2. LRI aluminum bolt shroud (replaces plastic shroud)
3. Little Bastard muzzle brake
4. TAB Gear competition sling
5. Atlas bipod
6. CTK monopod
7. No Name fore end padded wrap

This rifle with its 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge will easily keep a 140 gr. bullet supersonic through 1,200 yards and that's as far as I need to shoot for any Las Vegas competition - so far.

The rifle cost me $1,000. + tax.
The add-ons cost around $550.
$1,550. for a VERY accurate competition rifle. "Notta too bad", as Father Guido Sarducci used to say on SNL.

Yes, my Bushnell Elite ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope (34 mm tube) with its Horus H59 reticle, at $1,700., cost more than the modded rifle. But it is the equal of several more costly scopes. And the H59 reticle usually adds another $250. to a scope's price. Luckily I got this scope on sale after much calling around.(See Precision Rifle Blog for the Tactical Scope Test and the ERS test results.)

So lessee, for $3,200.+ I have a very good "entry level" rifle and scope that will compete equally with much more costly rigs. For example Colt makes a $3,800. tactical/competition rifle that shoots no better than my Ruger. And that is JUST for the bare Colt rifle.

In a year or so I'll replace the shot-out barrel with a Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped Bartlein barrel. And the RAP is totally worthy of that 'spensive barrel.

Another wildcat is the 260 SLR. This gives you a longer neck and some say longer barrel life. I keep thinking of it! I shoot a 260 and hit an 18 in. plate at a mile at Thunder Valley. My buddy sez even a blind squirrel find a nut.

First im considering turning it into a 260 or 260ai because i think that is my best option for long range steel. Is there better options that anyone can think of that i can use the action.

I would recommend the 6.5 slr/s and a max barrel length of 26". For the minimal gains of the extra 2" it is not worth it.

I"m getting 2925 fps out of mine with no pressure signs. Others claim to be getting even highr velocities with no pressure as well.

This is the first cartidge that I have been able to get a single digit exteem spread on.

The 6.5 SLR/S is formed from 243 WIN brass expanded to .264 then formed in the full length sizing die. That is all there is to it.

Last edited:
Re: Building a LR target rifle (MDT TAC 21 chassis)

If I re-stock my Rem-actioned .300 Win mag HS Precision target rifle it will be an MDT tac 21 chassis.
Great chassis with everything you need for better accuracy and still all at a reasonable price.

My current competition rifle is a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope W/H59 reticle. Just amazingly accurate.

Eric B.

Re: Building a LR target rifle (MDT TAC 21 chassis)

I think a 6.5 is a great choice. I have shot the 260 extensively and it has proven to be an exceptionally accurate LR round, Having said that I'm planning on switching to the 6.5x47 Lapua. I think the case is superior to the 260 case, a the weak point of the 260. I like the 6.5x47's longer neck, 30 degree shoulder, and small primer use. For target work these features offer quite a few noticeable advantages. IMO

If I can get there with my 243 and 105's you can do it with the 260. 1350 isn't too bad but that extra couple hundred yards I can tell my 243 is pretty much sucking wind BUT it will get there. Later,

Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.