Building a LR target rifle

Eric86

Hello, first post but i have been reading for a while. I currently have a budget of $2500 and a Remington .308 sps varmint with a vortex viper pst 6-24x50. I will sell/scrap all but the scope and action.

First im considering turning it into a 260 or 260ai because i think that is my best option for long range steel. Is there better options that anyone can think of that i can use the action for?

Here is a list of components im thinking of buying
Kreiger barrel 28 inches and threaded for supressor (future hopes), not sure of contour but i like the varmint contour.
Accuracy international ataics
Badger ordnance 30 moa rail
Badger ordnance 30 mm low rings
Calvin timney trigger set at 2 lbs.

Also i do reload my own ammo. Please give me some ideas, this should be a great rifle but i always like to hear options. Thanks in advance

Mostly it depends on how you define Long Range. I've got I 260 that is a joy to shoot and is accurate out to 1400 yards. The 260 is a great choice if you plan on reloading. If you are planning on going out to a mile you might want to consider at 300wm.

Since this is target only, I'd keep recoil to a minimum.
If you are going 800 and under 6mm BR Norma is great with 105 gr bullets. Past that I'd also go 6.5×47 Lapua, 260 or 260ai.

300wm is awesome for hunting ( I'm in love with 300wm) but the world is an easier place to live in target shooting with less blast and recoil. Plus his SPS is short action standard bolt face so thats not even in question.

If it's steel your after. I would go with the .284 with it throated for the big bullets .188 - .200 freebore.

The straight .284 will with a 8.5 twist and a 28" barrel will push a 180 hybrid between 2900 to 2975 fps. with a .680 B.C. there isn't any 6.5 that will touch it.

I see nothing wrong with a single shot. I like the short action and I guess Remington did to since all the 40X rifles are even the magnum cartridges.

I really dont need anything that can go further than 1500 yards. I mostly want something affordable to reload and most importantly something that will shoot .5 moa or better. I want to know a miss was because of me and not the rifle. Also im sure a 260 will kill anything i would want to hunt. From what i have heard, 260 and 300wm ballistics arent too far apart.

I really dont need anything that can go further than 1500 yards. I mostly want something affordable to reload and most importantly something that will shoot .5 moa or better. I want to know a miss was because of me and not the rifle. Also im sure a 260 will kill anything i would want to hunt. From what i have heard, 260 and 300wm ballistics arent too far apart.

Maybe a WSM wouldn't work with your donor action, but it's a thought. Honestly the 7 and 30 caliber will kill the 260 at range. the drop might be similar but the wind is where the 6.5 will fall far short.

I dont really think i need anything bigger right now. When i do ill get it built. Im going to consider this my short range rifle.

I dont really think i need anything bigger right now. When i do ill get it built. Im going to consider this my short range rifle.

That is understandable. I was assuming you were going to be pushing the limits of distance in the ELR section.

I thought 1000 was elr per title of forum and my goal is 1500. I dont really think that is really that far for the rifle choices we have today. Atm i dont have access to anything over 1800 yards. I guess you dont understand what my intent is with this. Its simply to have a rifle that will be fun to shoot up to 1500 yards accurately. Does this not seem feasible out of a 260?

Sorry wrong ballistics. Ignore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160615-165122.jpg
    Screenshot_20160615-165122.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 13
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.