What cartridge to go with 300rum?

w33b8t1

I have a Remington long range in 300RUM.

I also ordered a Mausingfield large face action a while back and am waiting on it.

Neither gun really serves a huge purpose, some hunting with the RUM, but the new build really won't fill some empty hole so to speak.

Originally I was going to build a 338 Norma out of it, but I don't know. I started to think maybe I should build an edge out of the RUM and get more 338 horsepower that way. Then make the new gun a 300 Norma maybe or some other .30.......

I guess I'm the end I probably want a 338 of some sort and the mausignfield would hopefully be a nicer, more accurate platform so the right cartridge there would be good.

Box feeding at least one of them would be ideal.

I do reload passively and am not too worried about buying factory ammunition wherever I go.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Well I got my action finally. And I ordered a .338 brux heavy varmint bbl.

guess I'll stick to my original plan of keeping the RUM and building a .338NM on the new action.

I didn't realize a McMillan stock was an 8 month wait. Yuck.

Manners is only 6 ;)
Looking forward to your edge load development. Mine were simple and surprised me with their inherent accuracy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.