What 338 cartridge?

Doghunter23

Looks like I will have to re-barrel my 338 Win, I have a 1977 Tang safety Ruger 77. I can only get a bout 2.5 inch group from it, and the gunsmith I took it to locally said that I probably got a Junk factory barrel on it. Dad said it was always minute of Bear which is all he ever used it for.
So I am thinking of trying to set up the Rifle as a speed hunting rig thinking along the lines of 22-250 but for big game. If I can get 3300 FPS with a barnes 160 gn TTSX in a 338 win mag, than is it possible to break 4,000 in a standard ruger long action?
I was thinking that 338 RUM would be pretty easy to set up, but I don't know if I can reach that speed in say a 28'' barrel.
Also, does anyone know of any gunsmith's who are still working during this time that wouldn't mind working on an Old Ruger?

Personally if I'm building a .338 I'm looking to shoot 250+ grain bullets in it. Heck a .338 RCM would get close to 3200 with a 160gr in a 26" barrel. If you want to shoot those weight bullets then build a big 7mm or .30 cal magnum. Getting 4000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle can be done with a .300 Win Mag pushing 220s at 2850fps. If you want fast and flat for big game, shoot 180 Accubonds at 3200fps. You'll have less drop and more energy down range than a 160gr .338 at 3300 has.

I'm not a Ruger guy, so I can't comment for sure, but I'd look into the magazine box length of an M77 to see how long of a cartridge you can fit in there. That will be a big determining factory on what cartridges to look into.

Yes mag box length is a factor for tang rugers. I think a 338 Sherman max would be right at home in that action and get great performance.
You might be right, could someone do a quickload for a 338 sherman max with a 28'' barrel. 160 gr TTSX I was thinking 4,000 FPS not foot pounds. I was just thinking a flat shooting 400 yard rifle. I already have a big 7MM. Maybe it can't be done with Box length limitations.

Looks like like you you would have to step up to a 338 Allen Magnum to have a hope of reaching 4K in a 338. But I bet it would be a lazer beam.

A fellow LRH member, @Alibiiv , has a safe full of tang safety Rugers. Try sending him a private message to find out the gunsmith he uses. He's been happy with the work done.

Hey...............you been in my cellar!!??????????😂😂 Hope up had a mask on!! Dennis Olson, Plains, Montana. He does great work, very meticulous to detail, reasonable pricing and a good turn around. He's about to build my son's Christmas present.

Looks like I will have to re-barrel my 338 Win, I have a 1977 Tang safety Ruger 77. I can only get a bout 2.5 inch group from it, and the gunsmith I took it to locally said that I probably got a Junk factory barrel on it. Dad said it was always minute of Bear which is all he ever used it for.
So I am thinking of trying to set up the Rifle as a speed hunting rig thinking along the lines of 22-250 but for big game. If I can get 3300 FPS with a barnes 160 gn TTSX in a 338 win mag, than is it possible to break 4,000 in a standard ruger long action?
I was thinking that 338 RUM would be pretty easy to set up, but I don't know if I can reach that speed in say a 28'' barrel.
Also, does anyone know of any gunsmith's who are still working during this time that wouldn't mind working on an Old Ruger?
After nearly 4 years, I hope you have made a decision. Any update? I have a Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM, but not a tang safety.

After nearly 4 years, I hope you have made a decision. Any update? I have a Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM, but not a tang safety.
I have kinda just given up on the idea, after trying many different bullets I found a 200 grain speer hot core that will shoot 1 3/4 inch groups not great but best it will do.
The ruger has been relegated to bear defense sitting on a display rack just waiting for old yogi to to try and get our lifestock. Or on the off chance I will ever draw a permit in Missouri.

At least the bears for now are just content with raiding our garbage cans and my trapline!