What Caliber

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by twshore, Apr 4, 2013.

1. twshore

twshore Member

Me and my friend have decided to get into the sport of benchrest shooting. We have a donor Remington short action magnum and we are wondering on what caliber we are going to go with. We were thinking along the lines of a 6mm magnum based cartridge or maybe just going with a good old 300 wsm. What are y'all's opinion?

2. A Train

A Train Well-Known Member

I dont shoot bench rest but I sure love my 260 Rem.

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

6.5 Grendel will reach out there with some awesome ballistics. Alot of people don't shoot them, for some reason, but they are a phenomenal round that stays super-sonic beyond 1000 yards, where the .308 Win drops off several hundred yards prior to that. Alot of folks use 6mmBR for Benchrest. Never shot one, but hear good things.

I think you will enjoy the 6.5 Grendel. Do some research...It will blow your mind.

4. twshore

twshore Member

The donor action we have is a short action with a "Magnum" bolt face

5. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

You can buy aftermarket PTG bolts for about $250, or have your bolt-face filled up and re-cut for .308 bolt face. But for the money I suggest just picking up a PTG SA bolt with the 308 (standard) bolt face. You will have ALOT more options with that bolt face diameter.

6. Catfur

Catfur Well-Known Member

Pretty sure that for benchrest, 6PPC is king at short ranges, and the 6 BR based cartridges (6 Dasher) or similar (6XC) are favored for longer ranges.

Guy at work shoots railgun, they all use 6PPC.

7. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

TWShore- You did not say what range -. for 1000 yards a 7 mmrsaum or a 7 mmwsm would be good

8. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

How far and how many rounds per year?? A 7 wsm might cook a tube pretty quick, but sure is a great short action chambering. the 300 wsm would be bettre on barrels and a bit harder on the shoulder.

I dont think there are to many good options for a mag bolt face.

9. twshore

twshore Member

I would like this too be a 1000 yard gun and would probably shoot over a thousand rounds a year. So far I figure that I'll get a ptg bolt with a 308 boltface and go with a creedmore.