What caliber???

F16wil

I am looking for a gun that I can hunt whitetail, elk, and dangerous game with...
I have a 7 mag sendero, but Im looking to buy a .300 win mag, .300 SAUM, or .300 UM. I prefer the Light Tactical Rifle at the moment due to size which limits me to the .300 SAUM but I will lug around the full sizers if need be but the 7 mag Sendero I have can be a pain in the arse sometimes... but I can handle it... Anyway... Thanks in advance for the help.

PS: Ive found a LTR .300 SAUM for $988. Is that a fair price? Also, is the .308 a possible candidate? I know its a drop in caliber but just a question...

Consider a 300 WSM. Same power as 300 Win Mag, short action, etc. Unless you go for "big", I would not take the SAUM over the WSM. The UM is another topic of its own. The 300 WSM can be as light as you desire, but still have plenty of power for your animal list. Good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ive found a LTR .300 SAUM for $988.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmm,$700. for a Predator or Lawton,with about $300 left towards a barrel........oh,sorry,just doing some thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the saum vs. wsm debate,with the wsm coming out on top probably holds some water with factory production guns.The difference is minute and basically boils down to preference,especially with norma brass now being available for both.Or maybe Im just prejuidice because I own a saum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (that being said,Ive got a Timberline on the way that I was originally going to build a big boomer on,but now Im thinking 300wsm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
The money your willing to lay down on an LTR would go a long way to laying the foundation of a custom and then some.No matter what caliber you choose,you'll be happier in the long run.
(OK savage lovers,feel free to take the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

What do you mean by "dangerous game?" I'd consider the .300's to be marginal for the large, dangerous bears and more than you need for whitetails. If you're serious about the variety of game you mentioned, you need more than one gun.

Understood. I was hoping to get something to throw at all of them... The LTR 300 SAUM will be hella better to lug around but if a 300 ultra is better... then Ill get it...and lug it around.
Anyway, I want to spend on the right thing...I live on a military salary.
I have an A Bolt 280, a Sendero 7 mag and wanted to go with a .30 class caliber next... in REMINGTON! I lovem... Thanks everyone...I still dont know what Im gonna do...

My LTR in 300 SAUM will push a 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet to 2800 fps.....165 Ballistic Tips go 2900 fps.

My LTR in 308 will do 2700 fps with the 165 Ballistic Tip and 2600 fps with the 175 Sierra Matchking.

I *might* be talked into selling the 300 SAUM.......I have the itch for a custom rifle in 7 WSM.......

For dangerous game a lot of places have a .375 min may want to consider a 375 H&H or a 375/404 for DG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

as soon as you mention dangerous game, i'm thinkin 338 is minimum and as crow mag said, most places won't let you go unless you're packin a 375 cal. don't let anyone kid you. a 375 will kill whitetails also! i vote for a 375RUM.

Hey buzzy, you wanna get rid of that LTR 330 SAUM? I have a bud I work with wanting one... lemme know. Lata

Thinking about selling my 300Rum ss sendaro to fund another project if you might be interested.

Tim

Don't worry about the 300 WSM on Dangerous game in North America. Loaded it the Barns 200gr TSX and it will handle any Bear, after all more of the big bears have been killed with a 30-06 than ay other round.
The only problem you will have is if you want to hunt Africa most countries have a minum caliber or energy requirment, that the 300WSM won't make the cut.

Dr B

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about selling my 300Rum ss sendaro to fund another project if you might be interested.

Tim

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Tim... PM me...Ill buy it... if the price is right. I cant PM you on this thing?!

F-16, I sure wish you would have said something sooner /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I baught a 338Edge barrel from Hair I'm gonna screw on it now. Sorry Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.