What bullets for 1000 yards

So that pretty much backs up the "typical mono" information....due to the length/weight ratio of mono's--- you can not run the same weight class of mono that you can in lead core due to twist rates....therefore if you can run a 170-180 lead core for your twist, you can usually only run 140 class monos and a 140 mono usually doesn't have as high a bc as a 180 lead core.

Unfortunately you just can't directly compare a lead core to a mono, that's just the way it is. I'm not saying monos are inferior, they are just different.....I use monos for hunting as long as my intended max range is within the monos operational specs-- but when it comes to stretching out a cartridge, a heavy for caliber will often times have a further operational range.
If you want full custom rifles with custom barrels and fast twist rates then you can run heavy monons--- but then again you could still run a heavier lead core bullet
Very well said and I do the exact same thing with monos, recommend minimum fps is the threshold that I base everything off of

Nice of the critter to let him shoot him six times in a row in the same spot. That's crazy good shooting too, to punch an aoudad shoulder 6 consecutive times at 950 yards. Dang!!!! If he's this kind of sniper why not just shoot it in the head with an fmj?
Actually he can do that, and has shot a Deer in the head with a Berger 407 at about 1000 yds. A 1000 yd shot under hunting conditions is actually more difficult than the same shot in an ELR competition. In ELR all that matters is that the steel target is hit. In a hunting situation what is required is a clean kill and recovery of the animal for food. The smart shooter waits for such a shot is taken under minimal or no wind conditions. Also the hunter does not have the luxury of watching other shooters take the same shot. In fact, he has been able to instruct his wife to hit a 3 mile target with our 390 gr 375SBD2 bullet at 900 foot altitude. He and his wife run Pumps Precision Rifle Training shooting school.

Last edited:
Actually he can do that, and has shot a Deer in the head with a Berger 407 at about 1000 yds. A 1000 yd shot under hunting conditions is actually more difficult than the same shot in an ELR competition. In ELR all that matters is that the steel target is hit. In a hunting situation what is required is a clean kill and recovery of the animal for food. The smart shooter waits for such a shot is taken under minimal or no wind conditions. Also the hunter does not have the luxury of watching other shooters take the same shot. In fact, he has been able to instruct his wife to hit a 3 mile target with our 390 gr 375SBD2 bullet at 900 foot altitude. He and his wife run Pumps Precision Rifle Training shooting school.
Sir I think you make a great bullet but talking to us like we're school girls sitting on the edge of our seats starry eyed waiting on your next word ain't happening.
I've seen a ton of shots that should have never happened but did but a Black Car is always gonna be a Black Car, tinted windows or not

I do believe such shots can be made by some. I'm not sure I believe this.

Moreover it doesn't matter. I know we don't talk about the ethics of long range shooting here so I won't overtly state that it was right or wrong but time of flight is a real variable at those kinds of ranges and animals move their heads around more than anything else. And lest I come across as holier than thou, which I don't intend to, I'll be first to say why I sure would never try a headshot at that distance EVEN IF I could hit a head sized target at twice that range - when I was a teenager I thought I was pretty hot stuff (shooting-wise, awkward and gangly in other regards 🤣). Took a headshot on a whitetail at around 350 or so. Totally blew the bottom jaw off. Missed the brain by surely less than 2 inches. That's all it takes. That was on me, I did that, that less than quick and humane kill was my fault. A humbling experience. Never felt more disgusted with myself, we did track it down and finish the job thankfully but I learned my lesson.

Either way…at this point I'm 💯 not interested anymore, I've heard enough.

Last edited:
Proceeds to do exactly that...

even though you said you aren't interested here's the video.

Chase Stroud can shoot.

You know what I realize you're right. I'm gonna delete a portion of my initial post that talks about arrogance/indifference on account of what you've pointed out here, but will acknowledge the validity of your objection first and own up to doing this. Thanks for keeping me honest.

I have zero doubt the man can shoot! I have major objections to headshots in general which I've stated but you're right this isn't the place to condemn the hunting decisions of others (though I don't think that means we have to keep every concern to ourselves either…you go hunting elk with a .223, even though many have been killed with them, I'm probably going to express concern, just for example)

I have major doubts about the possibility of shooting an animal in the same spot 6 times in a row with a .375 at 950 yards AND said critter not being dead yet. Major, major doubts 😁

And I'm very impressed with shooting to that level of capability, lord knows I'm not half that good.

I'm not impressed with demonstrating that level of ability in this manner.
It is impressive. I do agree that I personally wouldn't be taking head shots at that distance. I honestly don't doubt the guy could pound an Aoudad 6 times in the shoulder at 1000, it is tough to believe it didn't die.

I do believe such shots can be made by some. I'm not sure I believe this.

Moreover it doesn't matter. I know we don't talk about the ethics of long range shooting here so I won't overtly state that it was right or wrong but time of flight is a real variable at those kinds of ranges and animals move their heads around more than anything else. And lest I come across as holier than thou, which I don't intend to, I'll be first to say why I sure would never try a headshot at that distance EVEN IF I could hit a head sized target at twice that range - when I was a teenager I thought I was pretty hot stuff (shooting-wise, awkward and gangly in other regards 🤣). Took a headshot on a whitetail at around 350 or so. Totally blew the bottom jaw off. Missed the brain by surely less than 2 inches. That's all it takes. That was on me, I did that, that less than quick and humane kill was my fault. A humbling experience. Never felt more disgusted with myself, we did track it down and finish the job thankfully but I learned my lesson.

Either way…at this point I'm 💯 not interested anymore, I've heard enough.
Because someone does something does not mean you have to do it. It does not bother my ego in the least to admit that I will not take 1000 yd head shots. The only head shots I take is on Hogs within 150 yds and I aim for the ear hole or the base of the skull. I know for sure I can do that shot. Killed about 20 or so hogs that way with no meat loss or tracking needed. I am much more interested in using my skills as a hunter to get within a distance to my target where I know I can make the shot. The object of hunting for me is first and foremost to "bring home the bacon". Ethics discussion has little to do with it in my book. Under the right conditions almost all our bullets are capable of 1000 yd shots because of their low drag and low impact speeds necessary for expansion. That, by no means, obliges the hunter to do 1000 yd shots. Some are going to do it regardless of what anyone says, and that is a fact, ethical or not.

Proceeds to do exactly that...

even though you said you aren't interested here's the video.

Chase Stroud can shoot.

You bet he can. He would be the first guy to say that is the only shot you can take with that bullet because it is non-expanding and not intended to hunt with.

I was going to use my Strelok Pro to throw some numbers for different bullets into the mix.
But Strelok is on the new sanctions list and mine won't download any info for bullets.

Thanks Brandon!!!!:mad:
Strelok doesn't provide bullet info....you do! Just Change Cartridge.. button ..and enter your info..you can add up to 10 different weights per cartridge!

Because someone does something does not mean you have to do it. It does not bother my ego in the least to admit that I will not take 1000 yd head shots. The only head shots I take is on Hogs within 150 yds and I aim for the ear hole or the base of the skull. I know for sure I can do that shot. Killed about 20 or so hogs that way with no meat loss or tracking needed. I am much more interested in using my skills as a hunter to get within a distance to my target where I know I can make the shot. The object of hunting for me is first and foremost to "bring home the bacon". Ethics discussion has little to do with it in my book. Under the right conditions almost all our bullets are capable of 1000 yd shots because of their low drag and low impact speeds necessary for expansion. That, by no means, obliges the hunter to do 1000 yd shots. Some are going to do it regardless of what anyone says, and that is a fact, ethical or not.
Good grief man. At no point did I (or anyone!) state or remotely imply that a bullet or shooter being capable at 1000 yards would somehow obligate anyone to shoot at such ranges. You're arguing against a straw man at this point.

I know I've had some good dialogue in the past with ya and don't desire to preclude that possibility in the future but perhaps I need to just "agree to disagree" and leave this alone now. Carry on.

Last edited: