What bullets for 1000 yards

True story and I have the video. My son and I were hunting springbok in SA. I make 3 females up in a hill about 300 yards. Buck is facing us. Females around him. Waited for a long time and it would not move. PH tells my son, take a shot, which he did. Buck stayed there frozen in place. Females scattered. Waited, females came back, male still facing us. PH tells my son to take another shot. He does and this time he drops him. When we walked up to him, I am on video telling my son, his first shot cut off the string ok'd balls off. Only time I know an animal froze in their tracks after been shot

Sorry guys, I just got out of the hospital. Major surgery to repair rotator ruff. That shot was taken with a Remington Sendero 7 mm Mag with a 28" Hart barrel. My farm is in South Carolina, and the altitude is 85 feet. I don't remember the temp. The 162 Amax at that time would expand down to 1300 fps. The MV was just over 3000 fps. I purchase the rifle in 1999 and I'm on barrel number five which is chambered in a 7x300 win mag. I've reloaded every round and I average 1244 rds per barrel. I've hunted with this rifle from Wyoming, Canada, and Africa for plains game. The Kuda in my profile pic was 920 yds with 180 gr eldm. I don't recommend the Eldms for zebra. It took 3 rounds to put him on the ground, but he made a great-looking rug in my "man cave". I hope this info helps. Thanks!
I hope you are recovering well

True story and I have the video. My son and I were hunting springbok in SA. I make 3 females up in a hill about 300 yards. Buck is facing us. Females around him. Waited for a long time and it would not move. PH tells my son, take a shot, which he did. Buck stayed there frozen in place. Females scattered. Waited, females came back, male still facing us. PH tells my son to take another shot. He does and this time he drops him. When we walked up to him, I am on video telling my son, his first shot cut off the string ok'd balls off. Only time I know an animal froze in their tracks after been shot
Had a friend shoot a mule deer 5 times with 7 rem mag. at 250 yrs., never took a step just feel over. All 5 were behind the shoulder.

Had a friend shoot a mule deer 5 times with 7 rem mag. at 250 yrs., never took a step just feel over. All 5 were behind the shoulder.
Was it still alive when he got to it tho?

I've heard of this happening with moose. They just stand there and don't know they're dead yet.

Still have yet to hear a story of, well any critter really, taking 6 hits through the same shoulder with an elr type 375 cartridge AND STILL BEING ALIVE in need of a coup de gras, and this after the time required to traverse the 950 yards between shooter and critter. Until this thread that is….

Quite the tale….🥴

Unless you have hunted with our monos, you cannot generalize your experience with other monos to ours. I had hunted a lot with Barnes bullets and liked them over cup and core, but then, through a surprisingly bad experience, realized they had a problem with consistency of expansion even at high impact velocities, that nearly cost me a really nice Warthog. When I came across a guy who had the skills and motivation to make higher BC copper bullets, we joined forces to start the company. I dumped lead cores for Barnes after multiple "experiences" with lead cores over the years in inconsistent terminal effects on game. The bottom line is that our "monos" are designed to overcome the deficiencies of the monos and lead cores you may or may not have had experience with. They are not loaded always the same way as monos, but the smart hand loader can easily overcome the differences. In all cases if you understand fundamentally what you are doing then you will find loading our bullets to be straightforward. You can always call us for guidance. We are happy to help.
Did you answer my questions?

Was it still alive when he got to it tho?

I've heard of this happening with moose. They just stand there and don't know they're dead yet.

Still have yet to hear a story of, well any critter really, taking 6 hits through the same shoulder with an elr type 375 cartridge AND STILL BEING ALIVE in need of a coup de gras, and this after the time required to traverse the 950 yards between shooter and critter. Until this thread that is….

Quite the tale….🥴
Deer was dead, all shots were in 2 in. Some hit ribs with no bullet recovered. I really think he was dead on first shot but no one told him. Friend said he showed no signs of being hit. It was Barnes bullets.

If you had this happen to you, you might freeze too. 🤣

And your 160 class 7mm bullet can be shot out of the most common 7mm factory 1:9 or 1/9.5 twist barrels, just like the cup/core bullets ----- right?
And that's all still loaded to saami max c.o.a.l. to fit in factory magazines, right?

I've been loading and shooting both lead core and mono's for a long time now and know their attributes and limitations and as you plainly stated in your post
The 160 gr SBD2 .284 bullet requires a 1:7 twist to stabilize. Plainly stated on web site. Not sure which cartridge you are using, but with a 1:9 twist you will need to use the 140 gr BD2, and that one definitely will fit a magazine COAL. It will kill as well or better than a heavier lead core. It likely will penetrate completely in a fully expanded state.

The 160 gr SBD2 .284 bullet requires a 1:7 twist to stabilize. Plainly stated on web site. Not sure which cartridge you are using, but with a 1:9 twist you will need to use the 140 gr BD2, and that one definitely will fit a magazine COAL. It will kill as well or better than a heavier lead core. It likely will penetrate completely in a fully expanded state.
So that pretty much backs up the "typical mono" information....due to the length/weight ratio of mono's--- you can not run the same weight class of mono that you can in lead core due to twist rates....therefore if you can run a 170-180 lead core for your twist, you can usually only run 140 class monos and a 140 mono usually doesn't have as high a bc as a 180 lead core.

Unfortunately you just can't directly compare a lead core to a mono, that's just the way it is. I'm not saying monos are inferior, they are just different.....I use monos for hunting as long as my intended max range is within the monos operational specs-- but when it comes to stretching out a cartridge, a heavy for caliber will often times have a further operational range.
If you want full custom rifles with custom barrels and fast twist rates then you can run heavy monons--- but then again you could still run a heavier lead core bullet

At approx. 3000 FPS from my ,270 Weatherby Mag, the 150 Grn Nosler ABLRs were very good at 1000 and 1100 yards . At the Bang Steel Shooting School, in Virginia. I do have Berger 170 Grn bullets ,in .277 dia which should be excellent, but my old Rifle is a 10 Twist. I don't think it is a fast enough twist for those bullets. I can also tell you the next year I shot my favorite Hunting bullet, 130 grn. Nosler Ballistic tips , at 3300fps, from that same rifle, in windy conditions, and they were useless at extended ranges. 10 and 12 MOA windage correction needed. It was a great learning experience.

At approx. 3000 FPS from my ,270 Weatherby Mag, the 150 Grn Nosler ABLRs were very good at 1000 and 1100 yards . At the Bang Steel Shooting School, in Virginia. I do have Berger 170 Grn bullets ,in .277 dia which should be excellent, but my old Rifle is a 10 Twist. I don't think it is a fast enough twist for those bullets. I can also tell you the next year I shot my favorite Hunting bullet, 130 grn. Nosler Ballistic tips , at 3300fps, from that same rifle, in windy conditions, and they were useless at extended ranges. 10 and 12 MOA windage correction needed. It was a great learning experience.
Thanks for sharing that real world observation, always better than theory.

I like both light and fast and heavy high bc loads, just for different things. But for sure bc does matter a lot and after a certain range no amount of muzzle velocity atones for a low bc especially in the wind. Inside "normal" hunting distances I like light and fast tough bullets for the hold on hair point blank range and the unique terminal performance that hypervelocity generates. My .257 weatherby with 75-115 grainers is a prime example of this kind of ballistics. But at any real distance, for sure anything beyond 500 yards expected, I know it's limitations and opt for the 300 win mag with the 225 eld m, 195 tmk, or 200 smk depending on what I'm using it for. It doesn't shoot as flat…at first…and that doesn't matter much at distance when it comes to being able to consistently hit anything (and hit it hard)