Benchrest shooter posts stunning 1.068” group at 1000 yards – new world record

here is a titbit for 308 lite bullets.
small group from one of my 308's is a 0.116" at 100
1/15 twist, only 125/134/135 gr bullets
(and it is a target ar10!)

Good info, thank you. I'd have to go check, I think mine is 1:14. Memory just isn't what it used to be! I'd love to get an AR10 but they run a ways out of my price range. Those weight bullets are what I'm looking at, probably solid copper but we'll see what works best. I'd have check on my small group, too, but for the time being I'm only shooting 3 shot groups... when I get to shoot, that is. Trying to save $$ & the barrel. Right now my backyard/range is a big mud bog so I'm limiting myself to what I can shoot off my patio. I've also just caught up (mostly) with the ammo I had loaded for my chronograph, about 800 (!) rounds. Now that's about done I can start thinking about going back to the rifle stuff... once it dries out some. At the rate we're going here in MO, it may be a while - it's snowing right now. Again!
Cheers,
crkckr

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/benchrest-shooter-1000-yard-group/

Wilson's world record-setting 5-shot group measured 1.068 inches or, in angular terms, a stunning 0.102 minutes of angle (MOA). He even managed to land all five rounds in the center X-ring for a perfect score. (The previous 5-shot, light gun IBS record, set in 2007, measured 1.397 inches.)

Regardless of the conditions, Wilson joked, a one-inch group at 1,000 yards likely requires some divine intervention.

Wilson-2.jpg
That's amazing!

Several years ago I had a close call, my first 4 shots went into a 1.08", shanked the last one to turn it a 4.2XX". One of the few places that had pits, so they watched the group form. Anybody that shoots long enough has similar stories.

It doesn't seem that long ago when breaking a 5" group at 1,000 was the dream. Now, our hunting rifles do that and better, and we demand more :)

actually the record was just under 1.5 for years. back into the 90's i believe. they only started beating it in the last few years...with the 6br based stuff

It doesn't seem that long ago when breaking a 5" group at 1,000 was the dream. Now, our hunting rifles do that and better, and we demand more :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.