WHAT BLEW UP THIS WINCHESTER?

I've been thinking (and yes it hurts
grin.gif
) but most accidents are a result of more than one failure. Could this have been caused by a combination of someone trying to chamber the wrong cartridge and having a firing pin stuck in the extended position?

In some cases of trying to chamber a wrong cartridge it is too long and won't go in far enough for the bolt to engage the triger to release the firing pin. In other cases the wrong cartridge is too short to locate against the shoulder and the firing pin will push it farther into the chamber with out ignition.

This site is turning into to too much like work!

Perhaps a bullet jammed into the lands after walking forward from recoil in the magazine due to a lack of neck tension. Resultant pressure spikes can do amazing things, especially if the load is already pushing the limit.

THE REST OF THE STORY...
Several of you were very close in your determination of what happened and many of you posted very knowledgeable replies. I am impressed!

First of all the two bullets, shown with this new picture, were originally the same, both are .338 cal , 250 gr Nosler partitioners. (not bait bullets) This little learning lesson was provided by a dear friend of mine who has hunted the world and is a very knowledgeable reloader. He owned two almost identical Model 70's, same mounts, scope, trigger pull.......EXCEPT the bores were different. One was a 7 mm Shooting Times Western, the other is a 338 Win Mag. He decided to develop a better load for the Win Mag, using the Nosler 250 gr partition bullet. He loaded 3 rounds of the new load, went to the gun safe and knowing the similarity in the rifles, carefully chose the 338 Win Mag, to try his new loads. Fired first round… ,second round…, and on the third round, as you can see, there was no more…. He called me a few minutes after the explosion and told me what had happened but did no yet know why it happened. My first question was, "how bad are you hurt?". Thank goodness he was not seriously injured (only had one small piece of the stock imbedded in his cheek), but needless to say, he was "all shook up".

He was shooting off the bench with the rifle in a shooting stand, he was only holding the pistol grip and steadying the butt of the rifle with his left hand, otherwise it is almost certain that he would have lost his left hand and /or arm. After he calmed down a little, and of course, changed his pants , he returned to the scene. Covering about a 25 yard area, he retrieved what you see in the picture . Not until after looking at the barrel and noticing the markings did he realize what a dumb mistake he had made. Of course it was the 7mm. Our question is still…. how it managed to hold together until the 3rd shot, and we were even more amazed that he was not seriously injured..

Epilogue:
This did not come out of a book I took these pictures myself. It was an actual experience by a friend who is not a newbie to shooting, hunting and reloading, and could just as easily happened to one of us. We may not have been so lucky as to not have serious injuries.
I had 3 rifles that were almost identical too, all with black satin stocks, Leupold scopes, etc. I now have a gray one, a black one and a green one hehehe. You can never be to careful, even if you have checked........, CHECK IT AGAIN!!!!
Perhaps these very graphic pictures have impressed upon you the importance of knowing you are shooting the correct ammo in the correct rifle, and will help prevent serious injury to you or someone else.
Be safe…Have fun!
deadeye2

Rifleoopsbullets.jpg

Ruff handling at the airport....or maybe attempting to sight the rifle in without using the Three Axis Scope Leveler...
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Insufficient information for a meaningful response. However, I can approximate the failure above by substituting C-4 for gunpowder.
grin.gif

This is similar but in a shotgun, a customer brought in a Ithaca 51 12ga in many pieces, and his wounds still ouzing from all the stock tooth picks in his arms and face. He was shooting skeet and had the 20ga shells in one pocket and 12's in another, well you can guess what happened, put a 20 in the gun, it misfired, he opened up the gun and saw no shell in the chamber, so he put in a 12 ga,,,,,BOOOOOOOM. He thought Ithaca should stand behind the gun,,,,boy did he get a education. Another local retail store called me to look a rifle that wont fire, it was a Browning BAR 300win mag if i recall. Their customer was a BRAIN SURGEON, yes really! He was trying to shoot 8MM mauser shells in it. I supose there is lots of scary stories out there!

This is similar but in a shotgun, a customer brought in a Ithaca 51 12ga in many pieces, and his wounds still ouzing from all the stock tooth picks in his arms and face. He was shooting skeet and had the 20ga shells in one pocket and 12's in another, well you can guess what happened, put a 20 in the gun, it misfired, he opened up the gun and saw no shell in the chamber, so he put in a 12 ga,,,,,BOOOOOOOM. He thought Ithaca should stand behind the gun,,,,boy did he get a education. Another local retail store called me to look a rifle that wont fire, it was a Browning BAR 300win mag if i recall. Their customer was a BRAIN SURGEON, yes really! He was trying to shoot 8MM mauser shells in it. I supose there is lots of scary stories out there!

Ackley writes of experiments wherein he fired larger than bore diameter bullets in attempted destructo(my word) tests. It was remarkable how much abuse some barrels will tolerate, but getting 2 .338 thru a 7mm bore? Priceless! Unreal! WOW!

wow thats scarry its an eye opener. makes me wanna make sure my head is fully pulled out of my butt next time im at the range. you should post this as a reminder in one of the more popular threads like rifles barrels and ballistics as a reminder to everyone what we do is dangerous no matter how proficient you are.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.