WHAT BLEW UP THIS WINCHESTER?

deadeye2

WHAT BLEW UP THIS WINCHESTER???
I posted this a couple of years back on another forum so if you happened to see it, please wait a bit to post the answer……Let's see if anyone else can determine what happened.

This WAS a model 70 Winchester stainless with synthetic stock and Burris Scope 3 x 9 x 40
rifleoops1.jpg

Be Safe! Have Fun!
Deadeye2
Deadeye_Precision_Products_Scope_Leveler_ICON.gif

"Home of the Three Axis Scope Leveler"
Accurate the first time, everytime!
http://www.deadeye2.com

[ 10-15-2003: Message edited by: deadeye2 ]

Without knowing the particulars, I would guess a bore obstruction, wrong caliber bullet, pistol powder mix up, charge weight too low... way too high of pressure for any number of reasons obviously, unless they never heat treated the action...

At least the bolt stayed in place!!!

Hmmmmm,

If the guys was a reloader.... I doubt that there was bore obstruction .. but I could be wrong.. I have seen a bullet lodged in the barrel from a primer with no powder charge...but that usually sends the bolt back or the barrel in 2 pieces....

But that violent... I'm thinking really, really hot powder by mistake...

maybe a load of pistol powder instead of rifle powder???

its not a remington and it had a burris on top... hehe... wrong caliber fired in it would get my vote. hope the operator was alright. wonder if burris will cover that under thier forever warrenty?

1st guess... the Burris failed first and when the front bell landed on the rifle it broke also... Common Burris & Winchester tissue rejection problem. Should have had a Remington and a Leupold.

2nd guess... wrong powder (too fast or too little) and resultant detonation.

It looks like a round went off before it was chambered, as it was being transfered from the magazine. If the round had been inside the chamber when it went off, wouldn't it have ruptured the threaded portion of the barrel?
Or it may have got leaned against the back bumper of the truck (a REALLY big truck!).

[ 10-12-2003: Message edited by: RBrowning ]

I'm with RB...it looks like the round went off while it was being chambered. Of course it could have been Remington ammo in a Winchester rifle and the two mixed like oil and water!

Take care,

CC

I have heard of the "wrong caliber" stamped on the barrel from the factory.

You didn't say if this was the first shot from a new rifle or not.

One thing that could cause this damage would be if that rifle was actually (lets say) a 280 chambered rifle and a 308 Winchester was stamped on the barrel.
A person "Could" chamber a 308 round in it and with the oversized bullet, could cause this kind of damage.
Other cartridge combinations can be used and chambered, in this instance also.

I only used the longer 280 cartridge and smaller bore diameter as compared to the shorter 308 round for this scenerio.

I hope the person pulling that trigger is OK.

Later
DC

A guy I hunted with for a long time as a kid told me a story last year about a bear he did not get because of a misfire. The bear was over a moose gut pile of my sons just below the hill a few of us hunt from, Chuck pulled the trigger on him and as soon as he heard the "click" from the firing pin, the bear was out of there like a lightning bolt! Well, he pulled the round out and pitched it, passing it off as having a bad primer. After season was over, not seeing anything to kill the rest of season, he unloaded the rifle and found he had, I believe he said, 30'06 ammo loaded up in the 300wm!! Yep, hunted the whole season with '06 ammo down in the mag and never even knew it!!

I've almost forgotten my ammo at home before, never have had a "mix up" like that though. Could have been serious if it had been a larger bullet than the bore, and it happens quite often, most likely that's exactly what happened here. That extreme of pressure escaping in that amount, in that area, that did that much damage really does point to a bore obstruction!

I'd guess that in the event the case ruptured for what ever reason there would be "more" pressure "on" the top strap portion of the reciever threads that appears to be blown off in the pic had the bolt been locked up, and less pressure on it if there was more of an opening for venting if the bolt wasn't locked up yet. After all, if the barrel swells enough, I'd think it's only logical that the receiver ring would stretch and crack lengthwise at the weakest point and blow off instantly. A serious volume of gas trying to exit backwards through the cracks and holes will at some point never be able to escape fast enough. Drilling a second vent hole in the opposite side of the receiver ring might not be too bad of idea.

Did Burris super glue the objective back on and say it was fixed?
grin.gif
I wonder what they said...

Where have you guys been? That looks like one of those new Variable Objective-Diameter scopes from Burris? You just screw on the 40mm, 50mm or 56mm, whatever size you feel you need that day. Comes with a little can of compressed nitrogen to keep from fogging. You can also change reticles yourself, just reach inside and take the suckers out, put in a different one, shoot in some nitrogen and screw the sucker together.

As for the rifle, obviously it is a prototype take-down. That upper forward top breach portion looks like a locking latch, to hold the barrel in place. The stock portions obviously all snap together to enable attaching various rests, etc. Nice challenge when you are sitting in a deer blind trying to remember how to put your rifle back together - kind of like a crossword puzzle. Hell, you could carry most of that rifle in your pack. Maybe use the barrel for a hiking staff. Note that the floorplate is specially shaped (bulged) to increase magazine capacity. This is one nicely designed prototype, the ultimate pack rifle. Hell it looks strong enough you could drive over it with a Chevy one-ton and not hurt it a bit. Gimme a Winchester M-70 anyday over them wimpy Rems.

You guys are reading too much into this - talking about a castrophic failure, just don't happen with a Winchester Model 70
wink.gif

I am surprised that nobody said a light powder charge-detonation! The bolt definitely was closed or whomever tried to shoot it would have been permanently attached to it.(read that sticking out of his shoulder or face) The poster of this item did not disclose the caliber of the weapon. But something tells me that it would have been a dead giveaway if he did. Alright Riddler what was the cartridge of this weapon? Oh by the way you guys bashing Burrss going to torque Jay up BIGTIME!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.