What bipod height for prone?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Tyler Kemp, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

Just got a gun that needs a bipod...which one will be better for shooting prone, 6-9" or 9-13"? I've never really shot off a bipod much from prone, just used bags mostly.

Thanks,
    Tyler

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

I've tried the 6-9 as well as the 9-13 and have always stuck with the 6-9. I will say though that I usually have a 9-13 in a pack or somewhere handy and I have had an occasion or two where the 9-13 worked better but the 6-9 is on all of my guns and works great. When the 6-9 is too short a fanny/back pack works great for me. I find that I can usually make up for the short one being a little too short but I can't whittle the longer one down so thus, the 6-9 on my guns.;)

I'd also add that I personally find the notched leg unit works far better and easier for me than the standard type of leg adjustment. And I also don't have a bipod that doesn't have a PodLock on it.

This has come up before and as I remember the 6-9 was the most popular but we'll see about this time around.;)

3. Steve7mm08

Steve7mm08 Well-Known Member

Currently I have the 9-13 but will change to 6-9 because mine is just a bit long at times and I find I need to poke a fair bit of stuff under the butt for a real steady shot.

I also like the notched legs, swivel base is a must with a podloc too.

Cheers, Steve

4. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

Tyler:
    My recommendation is the 9-13. I have one and it pretty much just stays at 9. I shoot it prone at that setting and off a bench at that setting.

You probably don't go wrong with either the 6-9 or the 9-13, but I will tell you thing....be sure to get the notched legs and it should swivel.

The notched legs will lock the legs in position when they are extended. This is an issue if your rifle has sufficient recoil to lift the bipod some. With the smooth legs you have a much great chance that the legs will slip.

The swivel will allow you to adjust the cant of the rifle for ground or a bench that is not level. Once you have it level, a pod-lock is a nice accessory but not necessary.

My my $.02

5. Ernie

Ernie SPONSOR

I use the 6-9 inches with notched leg, swivel version, and then I purchase the Pod-Lok.

6. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

I have found that unless I carry a Weed-Eater with me, the 6-9 does not get me up out of the grass and weeds. Sometimes I wish I could get an extra inch or so out of my 9-13.
    JMHO
    Dave

7. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

Ad posted in classifieds, if anyone has a 6-9" bipod, I'm searching.

8. trebark

9. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

How is the non-swivel model for hunting?

10. trebark

Have you ever been on level ground while hunting?