Bipod wrong height

olympicmotors

I have discovered that my Harris bipods ( 6 -9 inch) which are perfect for benchrest shooting, are too low for prone shooting. I cannot comfortably get my shoulder in the stock in the correct position with it adjusted to the highest setting.

It looks like I will be ordering a 9 - 13 inch bipod for prone shooting.

Does anyone else have the problem of having to switch out bipods depending on what type of shooting you are doing ?

When I am benchrest shooting I use the 6-9 bipod on the lowest setting, I believe the 9 to 13 inch Bipod will be too tall even adjusted to the 9-inch setting.

This is a little irritating to not have one bipod do everything.

I bought an Accu-Tac for it's adjustability. It's legs extend out and can fold forward or rearward (and offers a wider stance). Ive used a 9-13" bipod for hunting for several years and think I prefer it, especially with the spiked feet (the Accu-Tac has that option too). If I need height I use a tripod front/shooting sticks rear, while sitting on a folding seat.

That's pretty normal, no bipod height will work for everything. When hunting I tend to use shooting sticks, they seem to be more versatile than bipods.

I don't use bipod on the bench, I use them almost exclusively for shooting across dead flat wheatfields or for shooting off of the truck hood or tailgate. Occasionally I'll use them when I just need a quick rest and am laying on the toolbox.

The rest of the time I'm using Primo's Trigger Sticks II's, I have both the tall and short models, or I just find a convenient tree to brace off of.

Different terrain, foliage, conditions etc dictate different shooting positions and methods. Like GC says, nothing works all the time.

I also use the 6-9" bipod on the bench because I want to be sure the rifle will shoot well with a bipod when I hunt. I have found that a few rifles that required more barrel float to make the bipod work. Nice to find that out at the bench than in the field.

Where I hunt coues wt even the 9"-13" is too short for those long shots. My friends and I use the Harris 12"-25"S. The issue is lying prone on a downhill slope shooting across a canyon with the target even or sometimes higher on the opposite slope. Even with prone horizontal shots the 12-25 is quite useful. It might sound too high with it set on 12" but it isn't that bad. I use a taller bag or more often a bipod buddy.

You need to be lying in pretty short grass to use the bipod at 9". I usually use a 9-13" but I've taken my 12-24" to use while sitting for support and I know I'll be in taller grass but still had my pack to use for lower support if conditions allow and I'm required to shoot farther. There is no perfect size but those little bipods will really only work for the bench

I use the Accutac like Bravo.
But I find anymore, the bipod is in my way more than useful.
The rand I shoot at, doesn't allow me to get behind the rifle and setup natural point of aim. As far as hunting, I could see maybe leaving the bipod on for versatility. But a backpack seems to get used more than the bipod.
I'm going to use a front rest and a rear bag for bench and wing it when hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.