what are you shooting

I am shooting a homemade 60# osage longbow witha fishtail splice at the handle and a 60# vintage Bear Kodiak recurve. Cedar shafts and Zwickey heads. I went the traditional route about 10 years ago and haven't picked up a bow with training wheels since.

I will admit, compound bows have come a long way and are simply amazing to me, but I have no desire to switch back now. Traditional bows are just too much fun.

Dirty Steve

Well, I have been shooting since I was a little kid. Been a Field Staff shooter for many of the top bow companies such as Pearson, Oregon Bow Company, Hoyt, High Country just to name a few. I have taken many game animals and have enjoyed that style of hunting for many years.

I then got hooked on pistol hunting, still keeping it a close range style of hunting and have been in that for about 7 years.

Now I am addicted to Long Range Rifles and have been in that for probably 4 years. Naturally these sports have all over lapped in some fashion.

I used to shoot that heavy weight bows like James Jones. Although I am no body builder. But back in the day that was one of the only ways to gain speed was to go up in draw weight. Now days with my bow set up at 68 lbs. I am shooting about 340fps. it blows thru anything I have shot with it.

BowTech Allegiance 31+" @ 68lbs. plus a string loop
I have made my own set of cables and string to make this draw length.
Okie stabilizer
Seven Deadly pins by Spot Hog
Drop Away Trophy Hunter
Easton Arrow Speed 340's and 400's w/kick spin vanes
FreeFlight release or a Scotts Mongoose release
I always use a Hip Quiver made by Chuck Adams

Two UltraTecs @ 70#, 29 1/2 inch FMJ, QAD UltraRests, RazorCap BH, SoftLoc quivers.

These new parallel limb bows sure shoot nice but if it ain't broke, why fix it!

After 32 years of having to give up the sport due to a broken collar bone from a motorcycle accident, I finally got back into it about 4 years ago. Now at the age of 46 it's like I never lost a beat, although I know I have. It really gets me to thinking just how far I could have gone. Anyhow, went to the Archery shop with a fist full of money to buy a Matthews hands down, but I walked out with:

Hoyt Cybertech @ 62Lbs.
Tiger Tuff rest
Extreme sights
Cobra release
PSE 300 with Fletchings @ 277 fps
100 gr. Rocky Mountain Titanium / Simmons RazorShark

Use to shoot a Golden Eagle Hawk Carbine 29 1/2" draw 2213 easton shafts w/100grain Thunderhead 70#. Shot at 252fps. Then the left shoulder went south (rotator cuff) cranked it back to 60# then the right shoulder (rotator cuuf), then the torn labrium. Went to a Parker Magnum crossbow 150# w/an Excalibur scope, carbon shafts w/100grain Grimreapers (awesome!!)326fps.That thing whacks 'em. Hey I had to go the handicapped route. Never killed anything over 30 yards.. that's what bow huntin's about ain't it..gettin close. Just recovering from open heart (4/23/07) hope I can still cock the thing....then I got get up the tree w/my API climber or the Timber Tall Lite or one of the 13 permenant stands I got! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I would much rather be shooting a compound as that crossbow is a pain in the @%& to manuver while trecking to the trees.

Matthews Black Max 2,30" draw @ 64#, 3-60 ACC arrows with 100gr. 3 blade Muzzy. I shot a lot of 3D shoots in the past, and I haven't found a better arrow than the ACC. Fires this arrow about 295fps last time I checked.

Dang thought I was reading about my bow there for a sec...Black Max 2 30" @70 Gold tip pro Hunters... used to love a ultra lite ACC but cant get em and tried the GT's....Love em! 328 last time it was on a chrono, pep string silencers ready to hunt. Yea shoot Muzzy's too 100gr 3 blades and 90 gr 4 blade. YOU MUST BE A SMART GUY LIKE ME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yall been watching Michael shootin them ole Muzzy's. They got there slogon right.(Bad to the Bone) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Now if you shoot a real head like me you could say it's (Bad thru the BONES) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif LMAO

You know me, just gotta stir the beans every once in a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tim

I've tried the Gold Tips too Nyles. They are just not consistent enough for me. I might find 6 or 7 good arrows out of 2 dozen, and the rest go to shooting armadillo's. To me the ACC's are like finding that perfect powder/bullet combination. If it shoots perfect, why change to anything else. As for all the guy's shooting the 100# bows, I've been there too. I've even been disqualified from compitition because of my draw weight. I like things smooth and quiet now. Most bows I've saw with high draw weghts sound like throwing a beer can in a 55 gallon drum when they go off.

2006 bowtech tribute, 28" draw @ 70#, st epic sticks, spitfire braods, copper john sights,running right at 300fps-
DSC01565.jpg

I tell you what fellas , I've shot the new Bowtech Guardian a couple times here lately and it is by far the smoothest bow I have ever fired and the jump and vibration are nill.

I don't care what bow you shoot you ow it to yourself to find a dealer and shoot this thing

it is a great bow and is the smoothest bow i have ever shot, but i liked the way the tribute felt and the ease of draw- not quite as smooth or quiet or as fast but i learned along time ago you have to go with what you feel comfort with. I tell all my friends to go shoot the guardian first because i know they will love it because of the smoothness and speed and it is a great bow to learn on since there is vertually no hand torque

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.