what are you shooting

Switchback 70#
Tru-Glo sight
Shakey Hunter
Axis with HIT
125grn. Thunderhead
Axis quiver

13 elk down, hopefully one more this week!

My Bow is a Zipper Custom Curly Maple Bare Recurve
Built by Bob Thompson in West Va.
64lbs at 28"
tapered Cedar arrows with feathers and glue on Zwickey Broadheads
It shoots off the shelf with no other rest or sights.

That's my bow,

Now as for what I shoot. It's 1 of 3 Browning A-bolt rifles either a 223WSSM, 300WSM or 25-06. Soon I will be shooting a Bob Hart built 30 Hart.

I'm flickin' with my PSE baby-G, I'd guess it pulls at around 75-80lbs right now and it's backed all the way off. My dad broke a limb on it and when I got new ones put on (free of charge, PSE has the best warantee in the business) the thing suddenly was pullin' like 85-90lbs and that wasn't even all the way up! I've got a whisker biscuit on it and am shootin vapor carbons with muzzy 4 blade 130's. But I do most of my shootin with judo points on the local bunny rabbits, I'll tell you, ya get some pretty impressive terminal effect when you hit a bunny with a judo point. :eek:

Hoyt Supertec 27" draw 70lbs WC strings
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter Rest
Spot-hogg "Right On" sight
A/C/C 3-71 w/ four 4" AAE Elite Plastifletch 11 degree helical
Thunderhead 100 gr for deer
Steel Force 100 gr for bigger critters
Custom Stabilizer 12" 6oz
Martin Quiver

Hoyt Havoc Tec is my primary but I have fallen in LOVE with my Bear Montana. I had hoped to hunt with it this year but I just didn't dedicate enough rangetime and didn't feel comfortable enough with it this season to hunt with it.

Next year though...

I really must be weak! I shoot a 45# Bear Grizzly recurve with cedar shafts, feathers, and 3 blade Zwickey. Have killed deer, bear, and an elk with this. I've never needed over 45 # and super duper broadheads to kill anything. I've had a lot of shoulder surgerys so I can't hold up more than 3 lbs of bow for any time at all, so recurves work for me. 30 yards and under it's dead, I just got to get closer with the stick bow!

Morrison take down recurve, A riser, D limbs 65 lbs at 28 , I draw 29.5 so around 70lbs.. beman mfx classics 340 series 31inches, 100 grn insert , 125 Montec g5, fletched three shield cut left wing helical , lumenoks ,,total weight 600 grns.. chrono out at 190fps...smokin for a wood stick,, goes threw a 55 gallon drum..

Hoyt Trykon at 26"
Beeman (down to last 13 arrows) or new Axis with 100 gr TEKAN 2 mechanicals (only mechanical I can trust)
60lbs at 26" and 265 fps
Ripcord fallaway
adjustable single pin sight out to 60 yds

Custom BigHorn Recurve
67" @ 29"
Carbon Beemans w/125 gr Thunderheads or custom douglas fir using Grizzlys

Custom Fisher longbow of Pacific yew/osage and bamboo
56lbs@ 26"
Douglass fir arrows

BH

I call her "Harvester" and the ole man of the mountain "Ole Salty"

Mathews Switchback 70# 28.5" 60% let-off
Mathews MQ1 70# 28.5" 60% let-off (for the mountains)
Limbsavers
Tru-peep
Vital Bow Gear drop away arrowrest
Cobra Sidewinder sight
Kwikee 3 arrow quiver
Katquiver IV (for the mountains)
Easton ACC 3-49 26" 4" Bohning vane 100gr G5 Montec
Easton ACC 3-71 26" 4" Bohning vane 125gr Steelforce w/out bleeder(for big game)

I don't use a stabilizer on either of my bows as they don't need them. Ole Salty is the most accurate bow I've ever shot, Harvester is the smoothest. I like Ole Salty for the mountains because he is lighter and at the end of the day you can really feel the difference even if it is only a pound or so. Harvester is just that...she get's it done!

Perhaps after a trip to Manitoba I will change her name to "International Harvester"

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.