What are the best rings for my Sako

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by filatiev 2, Jul 24, 2008.

1. filatiev 2

filatiev 2 Active Member

I have a Rifles Inc built on a Sako and I just purchased a new VX-L. Could someone tell me what the best rings would be for this? All I see are the medium mounts. Do they make a low mount for the sako in Matte finish? If so will the low mounts work?
    Thanks Roy

2. ScottBerish

ScottBerish Well-Known Member

Which model VX-L are you running? We sell Lupy ringmounts for the Sako, including lower heights...depends whether you have 30mm or 1-in tube

3. filatiev 2

filatiev 2 Active Member

Sako rings

It's a VX-L 4.5-14x50mm. Model number 60363.
    Thanks

4. ScottBerish

Lupy does not mke these in matte for some reason. We have the gloss low 1-in tube for $59 shipped

Scott

PS - this should work with the VX-L

LEU49946

Description: SAKO GLS LOW 1IN RINGS

Ringmounts
    Sako, Low, Gloss finish
    Steel machined from solid stock

5. yukonal

yukonal Member

rings

I really like Talley Lightweight One Piece Mounts. I have the low's on several rifles with 40-44mm objectives. There is room under the scope. Check out Talley's website, and the chart should tell you which one will fit...................Al

6. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

I have always been a big Leupold fan, but with that said Leupold's Sako ring mount is the most disgraceful product to ever be sold by the company.
    I have 3 Sako's now and have had several in the past and the best set up I have found is to use Burris Dual dove tail bases with Burris dual dovetail signature rings.
    they come in matte finish but not in low but low will not work anyway even with a VX-L.
    UB

7. ScottBerish

Do tell.

The best rings would be the Sako Opti-lock, or you can out some IOR Picatinny bases on the dovetails and use any HD ringmount. I use the Lupy QD setup for my L61-R, and it has worked quite well, if not a little flimsy appearing.

8. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

I disagree about the Opti-locks, I have had one set and would never buy another.
    I have never seen or even heard of the IOR picatinny set up for a Sako.
    I think the best rings for a Sako were the origional Sako rings that came on my L579, but they have not been made in a few decades.
    I have tried a few other set-ups over the years and found the DD Burris to be the best that you can currently purchase.
    If you have some info on the IOR bases I would be interested in checking it out.
    UB

9. ScottBerish

UB,

Here's a link. Ignore the price.

SAKO Picatinny 2pc Base

They come pre-threaded for a set screw, but Valdada claims with recoil forces tightening the base, you don't need it. A pretty nifty setup.

Scott

10. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

I am also installing a VX-L on my Sako finnlight. I ordered the Leupold low rings. I did a dry run and it looks like the scope might be touching the barrel. I will mount it tonight make sure it is all good.

11. Bigcat_hunter

Bigcat_hunter Well-Known Member

Well I mounted the scope but I had to use 2 leupold scope shims under the front scope base so the scope did not touch the barrel. These rings are really low.

12. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Did you lap the rings after you installed the shims. You don't think that you are putting undue stress on your scope?

13. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

LO,
    On this I agree, it is "A pretty nifty setup" much better than most for a Sako.
    Do you sell them ???? if so I will buy a set to see how they are
    UB

14. ScottBerish

Yes, I sell them. I know I have a set here somewhere, and Valdada will likely have a few sets in case I can't locate mine, so you'll be covered.

Drop me a line tomorrow and we'll get you squared away!

Scott