What .308 rifle for $1600?

Can't beat a Remington 5r. Comes threaded and mine shoots practically one hole as well as my buddy's

For $1,600 you could build a nice semi-custom rifle for that. Pickup a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 (you will want the long action for seating long high-BC heavy bullets, and still using the magazine as a repeater). Then order a Bartlein 5R Rem Varmint/Sendero contour barrel 1:10 twist. Manners stock, and a PTG .250" recoil lug. Then take it to your smith. Have him blueprint and fit everything up, and you will have a hell of a shooter for your $1,600 price range.

If you are wanting to avoid the custom route, the Remington 700 5R Milspec 24" .308 Win is a well-known shooter. I've had one since 2009, and it will shoot 1/4 MOA consistantly with handloads.

+1 also could look at the cheaper SPS or ADL Remington 700 and upgrade the stock. Both the 5R and standard 6 groove barrels shoot awesome!

You can absolutely get a better rifle than a Remington 5R 308, it would be right at the bottom of my list in fact, short mag box with a 1-12 twist rate the thing is made for short blunt Sierra bullets and 600 yards, we have soooo much better bullets and we have powders that will push better heavier bullets fast than ever before. If I would do a Remington go cheap and plan on spending money to get the thing to what it should be day one.

Savage LE series model 10 FCP McMillian will destroy a Rem 5R in 308 all day long and twice on Sundays because you can use the best bullet available to the 308 today, not the best bullets 40 years ago, WAYYYYY better stock design and a 3 inch mag and a functional trigger day one!! You can bring the Rem up to it but you'll have to slap it with your wallet a couple times!!

Before anyone calls me a Savage fan boy, my advice for a 300 Win would be exactly the opposite for the exact same reason so nobody make the one stop solution but some companies make certain chambering in much better configurations.

You can absolutely get a better rifle than a Remington 5R 308, it would be right at the bottom of my list in fact, short mag box with a 1-12 twist rate the thing is made for short blunt Sierra bullets and 600 yards, we have soooo much better bullets and we have powders that will push better heavier bullets fast than ever before. If I would do a Remington go cheap and plan on spending money to get the thing to what it should be day one.

Savage LE series model 10 FCP McMillian will destroy a Rem 5R in 308 all day long and twice on Sundays because you can use the best bullet available to the 308 today, not the best bullets 40 years ago, WAYYYYY better stock design and a 3 inch mag and a functional trigger day one!! You can bring the Rem up to it but you'll have to slap it with your wallet a couple times!!

Before anyone calls me a Savage fan boy, my advice for a 300 Win would be exactly the opposite for the exact same reason so nobody make the one stop solution but some companies make certain chambering in much better configurations.

My cousin had a Remington 700 ADL Stainless .308, not even a high end rifle like the 5R! It would feed and shoot 168gr A-MAXs and BTHPs loaded .02 off the lands perfectly. Groups literally were one hole at 100yds and well under 1/2 MOA all the way out. Oh and it dropped a lot of things at long range, including a deer at 900yds! Not the rifle I would use, but it did the job, put the A-MAX right in her lungs and she ran 50-60yds to the field edge and collapsed.

A really big thank you to all of you for spending the time to help out with a new guy on the forum. You guys are a great bunch.

L:DL! Good one Rhian.

Not sure what his load is but I think it's one of the heavy Bergers VLDs but there's a guy at my local range that are banging them 1000-yarders with excellent accuracy with his stock Savage 10 FCP and CZ-750 (CZ-USA CZ 750 Sniper, .308 Win. - CZ-USA).

My 5r and the other that I load shoot group almost one hole and we are using 168 gr bergers. I also shoot the gun out to 800 yds regularly with no problem. I prefer not to shoot savages so I don't know as to quality of the le series so I won't say it's a bad gun. But less than quarter MOA is better than some fully custom rifles I own

I have owned and like the Savage FCP. It is a nice shooter and well configured for F Class competition. I think your assessment and comparison of it compared to the 5R is overstated concerning the barrel. The 11.25 twist 5R barrel, can effectively handle modern bullet designs. Certainly up to 210gr. My experience in terms of pure precision between the two do not support that Savage holds any edge over the Milspec concerning barrel configuration.IMO.

I have owned and like the Savage FCP. It is a nice shooter and well configured for F Class competition. I think your assessment and comparison of it compared to the 5R is overstated concerning the barrel. The 11.25 twist 5R barrel, can effectively handle modern bullet designs. Certainly up to 210gr. My experience in terms of pure precision between the two do not support that Savage holds any edge over the Milspec concerning barrel configuration.IMO.
That's what I was thinking, but I'm tired of arguing with the Salvage supporters... Now it has just become a chore.

My experiences are the same with the 5R... I shoot 210 VLD's into 1/4 MOA or sometimes better groups.

That's what I was thinking, but I'm tired of arguing with the Salvage supporters... Now it has just become a chore.

My experiences are the same with the 5R... I shoot 210 VLD's into 1/4 MOA or sometimes better groups.

I agree, starting to get annoyed with this whole Savage bandwagon thing. Just shoot what you want to shoot and don't bash or hate on anyone else's rifles and things haha.

I agree, starting to get annoyed with this whole Savage bandwagon thing. Just shoot what you want to shoot and don't bash or hate on anyone else's rifles and things haha.
I disliked them long ago when I handled them on a daily basis when I sold guns... Now I hate and despise them because of how annoying the supporters are, and how they talk down to you and your rifle choice, and say everything else is crap.

Same reason I hate the .338 Lapua, and the 6.5 Creedmoor. They might be great calibers, but the supporters have beat it into the dirt, and I'm overly annoyed with hearing about it. I'll deliberately own other similar calibers (but NOT those 2), simply because I don't want to be a hypocrite. I know they are good calibers, but they are NOT the end-all, be-all of rifle calibers.

I disliked them long ago when I handled them on a daily basis when I sold guns... Now I hate and despise them because of how annoying the supporters are, and how they talk down to you and your rifle choice, and say everything else is crap.

Same reason I hate the .338 Lapua, and the 6.5 Creedmoor. They might be great calibers, but the supporters have beat it into the dirt, and I'm overly annoyed with hearing about it. I'll deliberately own other similar calibers (but NOT those 2), simply because I don't want to be a hypocrite. I know they are good calibers, but they are NOT the end-all, be-all of rifle calibers.

I can't agree with this more haha. These supporters are everywhere! I remember a serious Savage supporter at the Wheeling Cabelas, he was telling customers that he owns 6 of them and won't buy anything else because nothing can compare blah, blah, blah. Twenty years ago Savages were considered bottom of the barrel. Now they have gained a following and everyone jumps on them, nothing about the true design of the Savage 110 has changed. They just have different stocks and way, way too many variants and options.

I also don't like the .338 Lapua just because every long range wannabe or wannabe "sniper" thinks it's the bee's knees. It is a good round, but there are many others that are better or equal this cartridge. The 6.5 Creedmore is a good round too, but in my opinion I would just do a .260 or .260 AI, get more out of a shell that is only a fraction longer in O.A.L. so its a win for me. The Creed, like you said, is another one of these shells that's just so talked up but all it did was try to reinvent the wheel....

I can't agree with this more haha. These supporters are everywhere! I remember a serious Savage supporter at the Wheeling Cabelas, he was telling customers that he owns 6 of them and won't buy anything else because nothing can compare blah, blah, blah. Twenty years ago Savages were considered bottom of the barrel. Now they have gained a following and everyone jumps on them, nothing about the true design of the Savage 110 has changed. They just have different stocks and way, way too many variants and options.

I also don't like the .338 Lapua just because every long range wannabe or wannabe "sniper" thinks it's the bee's knees. It is a good round, but there are many others that are better or equal this cartridge. The 6.5 Creedmore is a good round too, but in my opinion I would just do a .260 or .260 AI, get more out of a shell that is only a fraction longer in O.A.L. so its a win for me. The Creed, like you said, is another one of these shells that's just so talked up but all it did was try to reinvent the wheel....

GOT MY HIP BOOTS ON <G>
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts