What rifle for practice?

esshup

I need to buy a rifle to practice with. Here's my delima:

I have a .257 Wby Vanguard (basically factory stock) that shoots well, and I plan on using that for a Wy. Mulie and Antelope hunt this Fall. The barrel heats up after a few shots, so I really don't want to use it to practice with because of the waiting for it to cool down. Besides, it's a good excuse to get another toy (or 2)!:D

So, what is a good caliber/rifle to purchase that won't break the bank with ammo costs, and still allow me to shoot at a distance? I plan on joining a shooting range that is roughly 2 hrs away that has 1,000 Yd. capability so I can also practice at longer ranges than the 350 Yd that I can shoot here in the backyard. I know that with the load that is accurate in the Wby, it won't have enough oomph past 500 Yds, but I'll need to practice further than that to get ready for Kirby's rifle. I do reload, so I don't have to rely on factory ammo. Currently it really likes the 100 gr. TSX @ 3350 fps (sub 1/2" moa @ 100 Yds), and I'll try the 110 gr. Accubonds to see if I can wring out some better performance from it.

I am getting a Savage MK-II rebarreled with a Lilja 1-9" 28" long barrel to shoot the Aguila 60 gr. SSS bullets to practice dialing up/down for shooting behind the house, but what to use for further than 200 Yds?

.308 Winchester. Not too pricey to reload for, not a barrel burner, and can reach out to long distances. Lots of factory rifles to choose from in that chambering. You may want to consider a Savage for their relatively low cost, accutrigger, plentiful aftermarket parts (stocks, barrels, etc.) and you can change out barrels yourself.

For a practice gun

.308 Winchester. Not too pricey to reload for, not a barrel burner, and can reach out to long distances. Lots of factory rifles to choose from in that chambering. You may want to consider a Savage for their relatively low cost, accutrigger, plentiful aftermarket parts (stocks, barrels, etc.) and you can change out barrels yourself.

The Savage .308W is a top choice.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.