what 06 wildcat

No I have 2. The furthest I go is to 6.5. You could do the same thing w one bushing die and use different bushings. For example I use a 7 mm SAUM bushing die to size 300 SAUM cases to a 6.5 SAUM. If you have full length standard dies you have to different dies. If you try to do it in one step you will crush the necks.

After all of that sizing it wouldn't be a bad idea to anneal the necks too. after all of that work you wouldn't want the necks to start splitting after a few loadings.

how many firings can one expect to get with and without annealing? trying to decide if it is worth the time and effort to neck them down. don't want to do it and only get a couple firings.

how many firings can one expect to get with and without annealing? trying to decide if it is worth the time and effort to neck them down. don't want to do it and only get a couple firings.

Fish.....I shot a 6.5-06 A.I. for many years before I developed the Sherman case and the A.I. is the way to go for deer (for that matter I've killed 20 some bull elk with it as well out to 600 yards). A 6mm-06 is going to be a barrel burner and not as versatile either. You can get 10-12 firings out of an A.I. if you don't over load it. I personally like to anneal more often anyway as your ES will stay down if you do (better accuracy especially at long range). A 25-06 would also be good but the 6.5 is much more versatile......Rich

Fish.....I shot a 6.5-06 A.I. for many years before I developed the Sherman case and the A.I. is the way to go for deer (for that matter I've killed 20 some bull elk with it as well out to 600 yards). A 6mm-06 is going to be a barrel burner and not as versatile either. You can get 10-12 firings out of an A.I. if you don't over load it. I personally like to anneal more often anyway as your ES will stay down if you do (better accuracy especially at long range). A 25-06 would also be good but the 6.5 is much more versatile......Rich

Couldn't agree more. I currently have two 6.5-06 AI

how measurable would the difference in barrel life be between the 6mm and the 6.5mm.

PLENTY.....A 6.5 would last probably 1200-1500 rounds and a 6mm would probably go south in 600-800 These are rough numbers depending on load, barrel heating etc.......Rich

Hey Fish...

Elkaholic is giving it to you as straight as it gets, huge +1 gun)

Only reason I have been leaning straight 6.5-06 is because reloading is not as much fun to me as it was in years gone bye. I find that these days I prefer to go out shooting. That being said, the brass prep is really only once...

**** decisions..
Gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.