What’s your favorite cartridge?

I hunt whitetail deer in Northwest Louisiana. For years myself and my daughters have used 25-06's with awesome success. However, recently I got a SAKO S20 Hunter in 6.5 PRC and I have to tell you guys that it is the best shooting rifle I think I have ever had. I shot a .75" group with it at 300yds last week with Factory ammo. I am a Reloader and I cannot wait to see what it will do when I start loading for it. I have NEVER had a 300yd group at .75"! So forgive my rambling but I think my new favorite cartridge is the 6.5 PRC.

Hard to pick a favorite now but these have been at different times.
300WM
7RM
280 REM.
Current deer cartridge rotation:
30.06 AI
280 AI
338/280 AI
Favorite all time deer rifle and cartridge for Whitetail in Georgia was a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in .375 H&H. My hand loads with 260 grain Partitions. "Was" because I sold it like a fool.

6mm Remington followed by the .308.
6mm is another good load that is ample for Whitetails. I have an AR-10 in 243Win and I killed a nice 11pt whitetail (5x6 for you guys in the West…lol) 2 years ago and the deer only went about 30 yds and expired. That reload was Barnes 80gr TTSX.

To dgp3006: lol…if you ever have to trail a whitetail after being shot with a 375 H&H Mag it shouldn't be very far…that is a cannon. Nice list of good cartridges you have there.

Hunted deer in Louisiana with my .375 H&H for 4 years prior to moving to Wyoming! 😉 Far less bloodshot meat than with similar bullet placement from the usual 270 or 06…..jus Say'n! 🤔 memtb

The 6 Dasher is becoming my favorite. I've thrown about 15 variations at it so far and this is the worst it produced. Majority in the low to high .2's.

Attachments

• AD5D9FED-B358-4CCE-A41F-F81595964FB9.jpeg
    AD5D9FED-B358-4CCE-A41F-F81595964FB9.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 39
I just got a new one this year 6mm ARC. I was going to cut the stock on an old model 70 in 243W for my grandson for deer hunting. A friend suggested I take a look at that little savage rifle in 6 ARC. What the heck, it's cheap and I can sell it if I don't like it. I topped it with an Athlon variable scope and took a section out of the stock to shorten it up. I couldn't find brass and I wasn't about to use my 6.5 grendel. As I did not want to get them mixed up. My LGS had 5 boxes of ELD-M so I bought them planning to fire form and use the brass to work up Hunting load. I took that cheap little gun to the range and proceeded to fire one hole group after one hole group. Couldn't believe it, it outshoots every gun in my safe. I'm a believer in the little 6mm. I'm planning some big boy rifle builds and AR and a bolt gun.