What’s going on here?

may I suggest that if you think shaving unequal amounts of copper off the base of a bullet, does not affect accuracy, you have a lot to learn about the word ACCURACY and rifle shooting.

you may as well shoot them but they are trash. the last thing the bullet sees when fired is the crown of the bbl. everyone knows how precise the crown should be( well maybe not everyone), but the other half of that is the last thing seen by the crown IS THE BASE OF THE BULLET, and you just screwed it up big time.
my guess is way too much neck tension, and way too little neck chamfer.
( some sort of word processing app here ?.complete word changes)
Thank you..... a man that knows his stuff and accuracy.

not everyone thinks 1 moa is acceptable accuracy.
the name of the forum is RELOADING....no qualifirers as to how and where the ammo is used
the op never said it was hunting ammo.
not everyone is just doing hunting stuff on this site...so do not assume.
I have hacked the end of a barrel off with a hacksaw and beat it with punches an rocks and within 3 shots it cleared up and never shot over MOA so that I know in a real world situation that my weapon will work without being pretty or strapped to bench, I have also shot loads the same as the OP's on purpose just to see and they also shot the same as previous loads i had loaded and no I'm not a Benchrest shooter with any wins as this is the LRH website not Benchrest Central , and from no more than I have read from you I wouldn't care to be, Some friendly advice, show some respect to the elders here and you'll find you'll get respect back or be a MudRunner it's your choice, That will be my last word on the subject

I have had this issue before now. Do you wet tumble your brass? I do and I think that is what caused my problem. Stainless media peening the case mouths. Make sure you chamfer after tumbling and see if the problem goes away.

@rsmithsr
I don't shoot precision by any means, so I am curious how much accuracy has the potential to be altered by the copper getting scraped like that? Or is it more the inconsistency in neck tension that may be caused?
Thanks.
FWIW- I strive for 1/2moa, but don't lose sleep if 3/4moa is all I can get (from a factory rifle). But again, I don't shoot precision like many do here; mainly just hunting and steel.

Reloading some 308 today after reloading about 25 rounds it seemed the bullets taking slightly more force to seat. You can see the shaving from the bullet around the neck of the brass. This is a first for me has anyone seen this before?View attachment 190177
I buy thousands of pulled lc military brass get your self a Lyman m die and put a little flare on the neck, the brass has sharp edges due to the crimping so I flare the neck and it knocks off the sharp edges at the same time no more chamfering its a life saver.

do not have the ammo nor the gun.
but
crowns are down to .0000/.0005 or so..basically dead nuts. so removing even .0005 material from one spot upsets the bullet as it crosses the crown.
on a $300 rifle we may never know, on a $1200 rifle I am sure we could demonstrate the loss of accuracy.
we do not know what he has, he never said.

@rsmithsr
I don't shoot precision by any means, so I am curious how much accuracy has the potential to be altered by the copper getting scraped like that? Or is it more the inconsistency in neck tension that may be caused?
Thanks.
FWIW- I strive for 1/2moa, but don't lose sleep if 3/4moa is all I can get (from a factory rifle). But again, I don't shoot precision like many do here; mainly just hunting and steel.

I took another look up close and it appears the cases were trimmed prior to seating. I'll bet they had no chamfer at all.

COVID 19 is the reason this is the 47th post on a thread that the OP should have seen immediately, with a little attention. We are all going nuts.
I agree, enlarging the photo it looks like the cases were trimmed leaving the "inside/outside" burr. If these few cases were the only ones maybe the chamfering was mistakenly forgotten.
Yes, CDS (covid distraction syndrome).

I agree, enlarging the photo it looks like the cases were trimmed leaving the "inside/outside" burr. If these few cases were the only ones maybe the chamfering was mistakenly forgotten.
Yes, CDS (covid distraction syndrome).
Yes I'm thinking this is exactly what happend. I've been reloading for 5 years now and have never done that so it caught me off guard

Yes I'm thinking this is exactly what happend. I've been reloading for 5 years now and have never done that so it caught me off guard
I'm just glad you figured it out, Its easy to do if you get sidetracked and we have all done something along those line at one time or another , I would like to sincerely apologize as I didn't intend to sidetrack your post but this was a great place to find all kinds of helpful information without all the trash talking and bashing, There are some folks left on here that truly want to help as you can see and some not so much, with that being said if you need anything feel free to pm me anytime
Bean

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.