What’s going on here?

ryanjohnson

Reloading some 308 today after reloading about 25 rounds it seemed the bullets taking slightly more force to seat. You can see the shaving from the bullet around the neck of the brass. This is a first for me has anyone seen this before?
1587919846571.jpeg

The edges of the case mouths are sharp and scraping metal from the bullets - you can chamfer the mouths and the problem will disappear.
I did chamfer them must be not enough. First time this has happened to me ever. Are the bullets I already seated ok to shoot and do you think it will effect Accuracy? Thank you

If you only have six, pull them, dump powder, try a VLD inside chamfer tool. If your die used to get the neck resized hasn't had this problem, resize.

may I suggest that if you think shaving unequal amounts of copper off the base of a bullet, does not affect accuracy, you have a lot to learn about the word ACCURACY and rifle shooting.

you may as well shoot them but they are trash. the last thing the bullet sees when fired is the crown of the bbl. everyone knows how precise the crown should be( well maybe not everyone), but the other half of that is the last thing seen by the crown IS THE BASE OF THE BULLET, and you just screwed it up big time.
my guess is way too much neck tension, and way too little neck chamfer.
( some sort of word processing app here ?.complete word changes)

Yes, you can shoot them, and no, it will not effect accuracy.

Last edited:
may I suggest thst it you think shaving unequal anounts of copper of the base of a bullet, does not affect accuracy, you have a lot to learn about the word ACCURACY and rifle shooting.

you mayas well shoothem but they are trash. the last thing the bullet sees when fired is the crown of the bbl. everyone knows have precise the crown should be( well maybe not everyone), but the other have of that is the last thing seen by the crown IS THE BASE OF THE BULLET, and you just screwed it up big time.
my guess is way too much neck tension, and way too little neck chamfer.

OK... I shot competitive benchrest for many years, but I am sure that you can teach me about accuracy.

222MagBRriffle_zps3831fccb.jpg

They are hunting bullets, not match bullets, and the metal was scraped from the sides (where the rifling really scratches the bullet), NOT the base, so before you teach me accuracy stuff, you need to get the parts of the bullet right..

so some magic has the case shaving from the sides but never touched the base ??? how did the base miss ? the crown sees the bullet dia at the crown, not any taper/boat tail.
no i think you have lost the art of learning and are trying to pass it on to others.
shooting in benchrest and winning in benchrest are 2 different things. I have wins.

OK... I shot competitive benchrest for many years, but I am sure that you can teach me about accuracy.

222MagBRriffle_zps3831fccb.jpg

They are hunting bullets, not match bullets, and the metal was scraped from the sides (where the rifling really scratches the bullet), NOT the base, so before you teach me accuracy stuff, you need to get the parts of the bullet right..

so some magic has the case shaving from the sides but never touched the base ??? how did the base miss ? the crown sees the bullet dia at the crown, not any taper/boat tail.
no i think you have lost the art of learning and are trying to pass it on to others.
shooting in benchrest and winning in benchrest are 2 different things. I have wins.

Goodie for you.

I'm still waiting for the lessons.

Few things worth checking,
1. most obvious as already stated is the internal chamfer.
2. What is the inside neck diameter? Was there a brass or possibly a bushing or mandrel change? The "neck tension" may be too tight related to both items 2 & 3.
3. What is the state of anneal?
4. We're the necks brushed/and/or lubed prior to seating.
5. Was the bullet diameter double checked?
6. Have you used this bullet brand and p/n before? Are these bullets starting in the bullet seating die correctly?
7. Is the bullet seating die functioning as designed? Is run out excessive?
8. More obscure but has happened, were these cases tumbled after sizing (or even after chamfering) ? Were stainless pins involved?

Little things often add up to bigger problems, my best guess is chamfer combined with tight neck tension.
Good luck,
Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.