Went with Tract Optics

I am lost in the optics game.....I have Leupold, Tract (both Toric models) Zeiss Conquest (older models) and Sightron Siii 8-32 and 10-50's. When I bought each, sight unseen, I thought each was great......and, for what I need, they are. BUT then, I go to a match, look through a Nightforce, S&B, Swaro, etc and wonder, should I spend more? I'm 65 years old and wonder if the increase in dollars would equal the return in optical difference. I shoot at 200 300, 400 and 500 meters, and all of the above scopes have been dead on at the adjustments I make.....I wonder if my skill level is the factor that dictates the price of my optics....I don't think that increase in optic quality would transfer to better score cards????? Not owning full custom rifles probably figures into the overall scheme of things....rsbhunter
I understand your conundrum......I'm a Hunter only, although I do practice at longe ranges. And the fact is I could ethically hunt and shoot any animal I pursue with a long list of rifles that far less expensive than what I carry. Heck here in Va I've rarely shot anything over 150yds. Why do I need a rifle capable of .25moa at 800yds? The simple answer is I don't. The reason for me is it's a hobby.....I mean owning and using the rifle, as well as the optics.
I get enjoyment out using a scope that is so amazingly clear and crisp. It's a hobby like anything else. For me it's a lot less financially disruptive than imported Sports cars.....or trophy girlfriends.
I can't say if the optics upgrade would result in a better shooting score, but it would cause me to enjoy the activity more.
Good luck and shoot straight.

Having both a 4-20 and the 4.5-30 Toric, I can say that these are the best overall optics I own. The Sightron's Siii are as good optically, and if they (Sightron) had the turrets that locked, and zero stop , I would be hard pressed to pick. Now, with old eyes, the 10-50 power of the Sightron pull ahead on the 500 yd 8" x10" steel plates we use for targets....and the one other thing I like better on the Sightrons is the sfp reticle. I know the ffp is the setup that's popular now for PRS and other shoots for ranging, but it's easier for me to use the sfp set up......but, for the money of either scope, both choices are so far above anything I could afford 40 years ago, I won't complain...rsbhunter

Bullmark mentioned glass quality and that reminded me of an article some years ago by an engineer of one of the most popular optics companies.
He said there is an international market for glass(Lens) and then there is a market for the way high end scope glass and Schott is one of them.
He said that along with good glass there is a grounding process that enhances that glass and elevates it close to Schott quality.
Companies that grounds their glass have elaborate facilities just for the grounding process and some scope companies have that outsourced to other companies that just ground glass for optical quality.
Most companies have their own license process for coatings.Once the glass has been coated it still goes through processes to make certain the quality of glass is up to their specs.Too thin the glass is brittle and too thick optical quality suffers.
Companies like Leupold and Burris could buy Schott glass quality but consumers would have to pony up for 3500.00 to 4500.00 per scope
I'll try to find the article as it was emailed to me by someone in the optics industries.
With all that being said I really feel Tract will be my next scope as they have all their ducks in a row.
Old Rooster

The major reason I bought both Sightrons and the Tract scopes is CUSTOMER SERVICE. Now, alot of the scope companies have excellent CS, and I have no bad experience with any of them. However, the regional rep from Sightron actually pm'd me when I was on a forum and asked me to call him !!!!!! We talked for almost 30 minutes, and he answered all of my questions, never slammed any other optics company, and even gave his experience on what scope for what use. (and he shoots the " King of 2 miles" competition) That is AWESOME service, and because of his taking the time to talk to me, I now own 3 Sightrons....And the same for Tract......Jon and John (owners) actually answered the phone when I called or the email's when I emailed. For a company to take the time to interact with customers on a personal level is unbelievable in today's business practices. Plus as a personal experience, I had one of my 10-50 Siii scopes take about a 3' fall on a rifle to the floor off a cleaning cradle.....scores went from high 30's (40 is top) to mid 20's even after doing a box test, and showing to be ok!!! Sent to Sightron, admitting it was my fault, was fixed for free, and return shipping paid...plus, by mistake, I received my scope and another one....I called Sightron, and notified their CS. They were very grateful for notifying them, sent a ups pick up label....and a week later, I received 2 hats from Sightron with a letter of thanks.....again, above and beyond customer service.... Why I spend my money where I do...rsbhunter

I bought a Tract not long after they first came out 4-20 MRAD, I use it on my duty rifle 308. It's much more scope than I need for that application, most LE snipers use lower power in the field but 4 power is low enough and if I need to look at something close up 20 power is all I need. I think 3-18 is actually the perfect power range and I have seriously considered the Mk5 HD 3.6-18, largely because of a lower profile from shorter turrets and weight, for my specific application but I won't gain anything in performance and since I already have the Tract I'll just keep it where it is. I also have a Tract 3-15 which I put on my 6.5 Grendel, more scope than I need for that rifle but it was on a great sale and it is a great scope. One of my best hunting scopes is a Bushnell 2.5-16 Elite 6500. I wish they still made it.

Not to derail this thread, but if anyone has both a Night force and Tract Toric or Sightron Siii scope, or all three, could you please give me an honest comparison of the optic difference between the 2/3 scopes...preferably set on the same magnification in the upper end ? I have considered dropping the coin on a Nightforce scope, but in the beginning the scopes greatness was promoted as being super tough, which I don't doubt, but am curious if they are $1000 better optically...Thanks in advance if someone can do this.....rsbhunter

Ive been looking at them for awhile now but haven't purchased yet am interested in how you like it.

I bought a Tract not long after they first came out 4-20 MRAD, I use it on my duty rifle 308. It's much more scope than I need for that application, most LE snipers use lower power in the field but 4 power is low enough and if I need to look at something close up 20 power is all I need. I think 3-18 is actually the perfect power range and I have seriously considered the Mk5 HD 3.6-18, largely because of a lower profile from shorter turrets and weight, for my specific application but I won't gain anything in performance and since I already have the Tract I'll just keep it where it is. I also have a Tract 3-15 which I put on my 6.5 Grendel, more scope than I need for that rifle but it was on a great sale and it is a great scope. One of my best hunting scopes is a Bushnell 2.5-16 Elite 6500. I wish they still made it.
I know that toric is about to release a new series of scopes and one model will be an 3to18 model should be a great all around scope

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.