Went with Tract Optics

AKBman

The Bushnell I was looking at sold out, so I went with the Tract Toric 4-20x50 UHD MRAD. I was going to spring for the 4.5-30x56, but I didn't want to use extra high rings. As it is with the 50mm object I will be switching from medium rings to high to ensure I get the necessary clearance. I think I am going to put Talley one piece rings and bases on this Sendero, as they get a lot of positive reviews.

I will certainly give feedback.
Would love to hear your thoughts once you've had time with it. I'm stuck in a scope conundrum right now, And these things are expensive investments, I don't mind buy-once-cry-once but I would like to look through it before crying.
as I approac 50, I tend to believe the glass quality is the most important aspec.

Just got mine in the mail a few days ago and already had it out at the range. Its going to be on my .204 for a Varmint trip next week just get some time behind it on some high volume shooting before I put it on a 6.5 PRC. So far its pretty nice and seems to track well. I'll have a better idea by next weekend though.

Would love to hear your thoughts once you've had time with it. I'm stuck in a scope conundrum right now, And these things are expensive investments, I don't mind buy-once-cry-once but I would like to look through it before crying.
as I approac 50, I tend to believe the glass quality is the most important aspec.
At age 50 my eyes grow more tired and fuzzy by the day. Glass quality and image clarity, resolution, color distortion, etc., is certainly my #1 priority with optics.
I don't know your budget....or what you like in terms of features, so disregard my post if it's not applicable.
Anyway, I've bought my last 4 scopes at a big discount from retail by making a short list and checking different sites and sources daily......and eventually one of the scopes on my list either goes on sale, is available as a demo or used. Really quality glass should not wear out or lose any optical quality by simply being used or aging.
Ive been able to find Swaro Z8i's, S&Bs (both Exos and Polars), and Leica glass for as much as 40% off retail.
For my eyes, I haven't looked through any glass that's made in the Pacific Rim that compares to the European companies listed above......but I'm still looking and may find one some day.

Tract uses Schott glass that is made in Germany if i am not mistaken. That being said I do believe my Leupold Mark 5 has better glass and no CA where as I noticed some in the Tract.

Schott glass is great glass but it only one piece of a much more involved process. Most Pacific Rim companies start the optics building process with an end result budget to guide them. The European names approach their top end product with the exact opposite methodology....they make the product the absolute best they can in every way....the cost will be determined after the process is completed to their satisfaction. And the quality tolerance requirements are far more rigid....and it costs them and you to ensure that standard.
Even still, those companies, like Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica,do use the price driven model for some of their lines. They'd be boxing themselves into a small universe of buyers if they didn't make some more affordable products.
The Swaro Z3 will not compare to the Z8i. The Zeiss Conquest is not with the same intent, or accountability, as a Victory model.
S&B has held firm to the "best possible, regardless of cost" model more than the others.
Expensive high end optics are no different than a rifle built with alpha components.....You'll never stop hearing people say they have an X model factory rifle off the shelf, paid $399, and it shoots under .5moa all day. The interesting thing is that guy is not lying. But anyone that's held and shot a really nice custom build knows the difference.

I am lost in the optics game.....I have Leupold, Tract (both Toric models) Zeiss Conquest (older models) and Sightron Siii 8-32 and 10-50's. When I bought each, sight unseen, I thought each was great......and, for what I need, they are. BUT then, I go to a match, look through a Nightforce, S&B, Swaro, etc and wonder, should I spend more? I'm 65 years old and wonder if the increase in dollars would equal the return in optical difference. I shoot at 200 300, 400 and 500 meters, and all of the above scopes have been dead on at the adjustments I make.....I wonder if my skill level is the factor that dictates the price of my optics....I don't think that increase in optic quality would transfer to better score cards????? Not owning full custom rifles probably figures into the overall scheme of things....rsbhunter

I have a Tract Toric 2-10x42 on my 308 brush hunting rifle. Had it for about a year with never a problem. It replaced a Leupold VX3i and of course the Tract totally outclassed that scope.
I like the Tract for ruggedness because it took a couple bad drops with never loss of zero. It still tracks well using typical box tests. The eye box is very comfortable with constant 4-inch relief at all magnifications. It works well in dim light. And of course glass is good enough to see great detail. I have not yet found anything bad to say about it so I call it a success.

P.S. - Although I have nothing bad to say about the scope itself, I was not happy with the Tenebraex front flip-up cover because it kept coming off the scope. I went with the Vortex flip-up for front and kept the Texebraex on the back - that combination seems to work well for me

FWIW, I've got a 3x15 that has performed flawlessly. I also have 3 of their binos. As far as the binos are concerned, I think you have to spend 2x the money to get a comparable product. I haven't had enough time on the scope to reach any conclusion yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.