Well the new STW is no longer a "virgin"

Sounds like these sharpshooters are going to be a collectors item too, having one in 7STW and it's history and knowing it's a shooter as they intended them to be is "priceless." Congrats on the Coyote, I am getting nterested in having a Vortex scope now. Everyone is bringing them up. Do they seem of the same quality as a Nightforce? The solidness to hold up to long term use?

Sounds like these sharpshooters are going to be a collectors item too, having one in 7STW and it's history and knowing it's a shooter as they intended them to be is "priceless." Congrats on the Coyote, I am getting nterested in having a Vortex scope now. Everyone is bringing them up. Do they seem of the same quality as a Nightforce? The solidness to hold up to long term use?
I'd rate this one as very close to the Leupold VXL's, it's certainly not as heavy as the NF or Mark IV Leupolds.

To get to the equivalent or better than the NF in the Vortex you're going to have to move up to the Razor line instead of the Vipers.

For the price that I paid for it $475.00 it is definitely a bargain.

Wildrose,

I still have the original Shooting Times magazine where Layne Simpson reviewed all 3 versions ( there may have been 4 but I will have to find the mag to verify ). If I remember right there was a sharpshooter ( standard weight ), sporting sharpshooter ( heavy contoured barrel - around #6 - standard style stock - sounds like this is what you have ) and the marksman sharpshooter which is in a tactical type stock with heavy barrel. The 2 non standard models did have schneider barrels and mcmillan stocks. I don't remember about the standard as it did not interest me at the time. If you would like the magazine I would be willing to send it to you. You have a collectors item there and I am jealous!!

Ok, I found the magazine and there was 5 versions. Heavy Varmint, Stainless, sporting Sharpshooter and Sharpshooter were reviewed and number 5 - Sporter DBM was not out yet so it was not reviewed. The Sporting Sharpshooter tested was 7STW.

Ok, I found the magazine and there was 5 versions. Heavy Varmint, Stainless, sporting Sharpshooter and Sharpshooter were reviewed and number 5 - Sporter DBM was not out yet so it was not reviewed. The Sporting Sharpshooter tested was 7STW.
Thanks for the info. They also made the "Sharpshooter II's which were a lighter barreled version from what I can tell and then they made the Laredo which is a heavier barreled version.

It seems they were trying to give Remington's Sendero a Run for the money but just never stuck with a version very long.

Mine added another 1 shot kill to the pile today in the hands of my friend's 9yo daughter and you never saw a kid any more proud of what she'd done HA!

Would you mind scanning the magazine article and posting the scan here?

I'm sure everyone (including myself) would appreciate reading it.

Thanks!!!

Great story! I too am a great fan of the 7STW, one of my former co-workers has a Browning 1885 S.S. oct. barrel custom chambered for the 7STW, that thing was a laser!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.